Author Topic: Sinew backing  (Read 907 times)

Offline Gary Gregg

Sinew backing
« on: December 06, 2020, 07:01:40 pm »
Where do I go to get help with sinew backing? I’ve saved some silver skin and deer tendons. But need info on how much to use and how to glue it in the bow.

Offline ssrhythm

Re: Sinew backing
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 07:24:57 pm »
Search youtube "sinew backing a self bow" and you'll get several vids.  Watch several of them, as some folks do things a little "different" regarding setup and some are more thorough with explanations of what they are doing start to finish and why.  TBB is always a good written reference.  Also search for "processing back sinew" as some vids pick up with already processed sinew separated into bundles.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 09:43:16 pm »
I like the Laubin book, but as said lots of good info and ways to do it,,
Jay Massey's book is good too,,

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 09:48:02 pm »

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 12:20:12 am »
Adam Karpowzi's book is the best if you want to know the full works :)
There is a lot of misinformation regarding sinew backing. When done correctly sinew is wonderful stuff.

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 06:46:15 am »
Almost certainly but the average guy just want to get some sinew on  successfully and that's why I put together a how-to that will give results arguably as good with considerably less expenditure and  exotic collagen glues.

One of the biggest  sources of misinformation currently is that sinew backing won't work unless you follow Adam's book to the letter.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 07:13:52 am »
You can get all the glue you need in the baking section at Walmart. It is called Knox gelatin, which is highly refined hide glue. I have heard people say it isn't as good as the hide glue you buy from other sources, but I have used it for years and it works just fine.

I wouldn't use the liquid stuff in a bottle you can buy at Lowe's.