Author Topic: Finish for a sinewed bow  (Read 1116 times)

Black Moshannon

Finish for a sinewed bow
« on: November 22, 2020, 04:34:40 pm »
My buddy just finished up his first bow, a sinewed Osage. Any recommendations for a finish on sinew? Were thinking tung oil. I was also thinking shellac might work over the sinew

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Finish for a sinewed bow
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 05:30:54 pm »
I've used Tru-Oil on all the sinewed bows I've built. I've always considered tung oil as a penetrating oil but I've never tried it over sinew.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 05:35:33 pm »
 Agree with Pat. I've only made a few sinew backed bows and Tru-Oil has worked well for me.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 08:20:15 pm »
spray poly, works ok,, sometimes I paint mine and then spray poly on that, acrylic works good,,I have used clear heavy gel medium,,  and then spray poly over that,, a penetrating oil,I dont use,, but dont have experience with that,,
I have sprayed poly, then painted with acrylic, and then sprayed again,,

Black Moshannon

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 09:16:34 pm »
Ok thanks for the recommendations. Believe I’m going to start using Tru oil on my all wood bows as well.

bownarra

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 12:36:00 am »
Don't, stick with Tung Oil. Tru oil is a pretty weak finish with not great water resistance. Tung oil is superior in every respect. A few coats of shellac would also be a better, more water resistant finish than tru oil....

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 07:06:14 am »
my choice would be shellac for the first 3 layers, then you could change if you like ...
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 07:30:10 am »
Epoxy acetone, far superior than any other sealer.

Jay Massey mentioned in his book that he made a sinew backed hickory bow that was his primary hunting bow in Alaska. He lost it in a river during a float trip, found it a month later an it was still intact and shootable, sinew and all. His finish was epoxy acetone which became known as the Massey finish. I had never heard of this finish mentioned anywhere before I read his book.