Author Topic: blackwalnut  (Read 2277 times)

Offline sailordad

blackwalnut
« on: May 08, 2008, 07:55:33 pm »
a guy i work with has blakcwalnut trees on his property. he knows that i've picked up this hobby of selfbow making.he asked me today how big of a log i would need to make him a bow and would it need to be backed,i didnt know how to answer this,cause i'm new at this yet. i figure a log 8" in diameter by 74" inches long would work.
i'm not sure if it would need to be backed though.i figure ifn he wants to cut one down and i could get atleast three staves out of it i would make him a bow and take the other staves as payment,seems fair to me 8).
any input would be appreciated. thanks

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: blackwalnut
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 08:05:01 pm »
With black walnut I would peel the bark and use that for the back. Make the bow over built as per Comstock and you will be fine.
   Cut the tree, split the log at least in half(quarters if big enough), seal the ends and let it rest for a month. Then peel the bark and seal the back and ends and put them away to cure. You can take the stave down to almost bow size and it should dry in a few months.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC