Author Topic: Fixing violated hickory rings with rawhide backing?  (Read 1282 times)

Offline eastcreekarchery

Fixing violated hickory rings with rawhide backing?
« on: November 15, 2020, 08:24:35 pm »
I have some fine grained hickory and its quite hard to see if im following the rings. If there are some violated rings (nothing two bad i dont think) will a rawhide backing help? Or should i pony up and chase those rings!

Offline Morgan

Re: Fixing violated hickory rings with rawhide backing?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 08:33:42 pm »
Chasing rings on hickory is damn near impossible to do. I’m sure there are folks that have, but I’ve tried and it’s not something that I consider do-able for me. I’d back it.

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 08:46:23 pm »
With Hickory you can just sand the back  until it is uniform and it will be fine.

Every Native  bow in museum collections has this type of back.

Offline eastcreekarchery

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 09:05:45 pm »
oh ok. I did not know this. thanks! I think ill try backing and sanding smooth

Offline TimBo

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 07:22:26 am »
You can get away with that on hickory because of its interlocking grain. 

gutpile

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 07:32:01 am »
hickory doesnt require chasing a ring... remove bark and there she is... gut

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 07:41:52 am »
Also, if you feel the need to back this bow use something less expensive than rawhide. Silk or linen(both cheap from thrift stores) or even brown grocery bag paper will give a good bit of protection. All are applied the same as rawhide with wood glue like TBIII.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bassman

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 08:47:11 am »
I made a bow from a  Hickory split  with a violated back about 3 months ago. The wood was well seasoned. I smoothed the back down ,and  cloth backed it. 63 inches long. 42 lbs.at 25.5 inches. of draw. One ,and an eighth coming off the fades to one half inch at the tips. It even ended up with a little reflex, and is a good shooter. No signs of giving out yet. It is a tough piece of wood.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2020, 04:28:20 pm »
Hickory is very tolerant of ring violation.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2020, 07:05:35 am »
Eric is correct, hickory IS very tolerant of ring violations. Last hickory bow I made, I heat treated it's belly, and then tillered it's back to prevent removing any of the heat treating. I've built many hickory bows by either smoothing their backs or totally flattening. Even concaved the back on one.........Art

bownarra

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2020, 07:23:08 am »
I'd still chase a ring. With experience it would take 15-30 mins :)
Hickory will still break if things are bad enough,it isn't indestructable.  I know this from it happening ;) Many lam bows later and I am super picky about hickory (and every other wood) for backing strips.

gutpile

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2020, 07:42:31 am »
chasing a hickory ring is one helluva task... even for a well experienced bowyer... 15 to 30 minutes ..I'd love to see that... gut

Offline Morgan

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2020, 07:54:15 am »
I'd still chase a ring. With experience it would take 15-30 mins :)
Hickory will still break if things are bad enough,it isn't indestructable.  I know this from it happening ;) Many lam bows later and I am super picky about hickory (and every other wood) for backing strips.

15-30 min. Hmmm. I reckon your hickory is quite a bit different than what I’ve worked with. Not discounting speed that experience brings, but separating rings on hickory is a different animal, I’m with gut here.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2020, 08:02:33 am »
If you know what to look for it's not that difficult to chase a hickory ring. Once you get down to what looks like bamboo power fibers or striations you're good to go. Still, my least favorite wood to chase. If you cut/store your own hickory your odds of building a bow with some ring violation is very high for success. If using boards and pre-cut backings, not so much.....Art