Author Topic: Pawnee Plains bow questions and advice.  (Read 940 times)

Offline Mafort

Pawnee Plains bow questions and advice.
« on: November 16, 2020, 06:25:03 am »
So sometimes I make bows and arrows to sell (yes I used a forbidden word but bills gotta be paid) anyhow I’ve got a gentleman who wants a plains style bow built from Osage however he mentioned that the Pawnee built their bows with a thin band of white sapwood on the back of the bow. My question is how true is that? Most I can find is they backed their bows with sinew. Did they do a rawhide backing at all? Did they cover the sinew with a rawhide backing and maybe that’s what he thinks is sapwood? Seems most of his Information is from pictures of Pawnee warriors and tribesmen. Also he wants a 52” bow but a 55-60@25” draw length. Is that feasible without the backing? Also when I bring this up to him he’s probably going to want information and proof and I’d like to give that to him. He said he wanted authentic And I intend to give it to him.

Offline PatM

Re: Pawnee Plains bow questions and advice.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 07:20:24 am »
Never seen evidence of that. The Pawnee bow I most frequently see mentioned is a larger heavy double curve unbacked Osage with no signs of sapwood.

A 25 inch draw is feasible for a bow of that length with the whole bow working.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 07:43:39 am »
We have no problem with folks selling bows, just not on this forum.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bassman

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 08:28:59 am »
According to Jim Hamm  Pawnee bows were mostly Osage, and Heavily built. He mentions nothing about backing, but that is not written in stone.