Author Topic: When to heat treat belly?  (Read 1171 times)

Offline eastcreekarchery

When to heat treat belly?
« on: November 10, 2020, 12:35:13 pm »
I want to heat treat the belly of my next BL bow. When should I do the heat treat? before tillering or after the bow is finished?

Offline druid

Re: When to heat treat belly?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 12:48:18 pm »
I prefer heat treating when you achieve breace height. On that stage it is visible is there any bigger flaws in the tiller. If it looks correct then I heat treat it. Until full draw there is not much wood to remove so we are in safe zone. Probably more expirienced members knows some better ways, this works fine for me.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 01:20:59 pm »
I hear treat at the same stage as Druid. Once the bow is braced and the tiller balanced and evened out. That way you get the belly hardened up before any damage occurs to the belly. And the limbs are thin enough to not worry about tillering out the hardened belly wood.

Kyle

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 01:42:01 pm »
I hear treat at the same stage as Druid. Once the bow is braced and the tiller balanced and evened out. That way you get the belly hardened up before any damage occurs to the belly. And the limbs are thin enough to not worry about tillering out the hardened belly wood.

Kyle

That makes sense, I've heat tempered at floor tiller stage when I used hardwood fire, but it was hard to control and after I burnt up too many bows I switched to a hot plate and started tempering after tillering so I wouldn't take off the tempered wood.  It never cooked quite as hot as the fire.  Now I'm experimenting with a heat gun and may start tempering at brace height.

gutpile

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 02:36:11 pm »
if you heat treat after final till you will have to retill bow.. make sure bow is dry or it will check before your eyes... IMO you should heat treat a bow when you are about 3 or 4 inches from final till... unless you have reached final till light...heat treating can add a few pounds...I'll add some woods respond well to heat treating ,mostly white woods heart woods like osage, mulberry and locust don't respond as well.....  gut
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 02:39:16 pm by gutpile »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 05:10:44 pm »
I've had good results heat treating black locust and I think druid is spot on. Also you can make side to side adjustments and remove twists at the same time as you heat treat.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bassman

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 09:26:15 am »
Mine get straightened with heat right on the form, and then one more good heat treat before it ever comes off the form. Then I tiller ,and heat treat as I go if needed. That works best for me, but every body has their own way.

Offline eastcreekarchery

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 01:24:37 pm »
thanks for the help folks! Ill heat treat after full brace i think