Author Topic: Wood glue as a backing?  (Read 1415 times)

Offline eastcreekarchery

Wood glue as a backing?
« on: November 09, 2020, 09:00:40 am »
What do yall think about a few layers of wood glue painted on the back of a bow as a backing material? I think it would only provide protection like rawhide and its not veryyyyy traditional but do you think it would work?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Wood glue as a backing?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 09:23:45 am »
It wouldn't be as strong as rawhide. I've seen bows sealed with wood glue but never seen it used as a backing. Add brown grocery bag paper and you'll get a little more protection.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline RyanY

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 09:23:57 am »
Wood glue doesn't have a structure that would provide any protection for a bow's back. Almost anything would be better.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 09:38:56 am »
Wood glue doesn't have a structure that would provide any protection for a bow's back. Almost anything would be better.
+1
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 09:54:25 am »

+2.

OP, you can use a light fabric with wood glue to back a bow for safety (I used an old bed sheet for a couple) but the wood glue is useless on its own.

Mark

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 10:10:08 am »
nothing in bow making is that easy,, :)

Offline bassman

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 11:08:06 am »
I have used AD-40 Smooth On with backings, and it always gave me a better sense of security in he long run, but that may be only in my head though epoxy is stronger than wood glue.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 11:42:28 am »
The trouble with backings is that you never really know if they did anything or not. Was it really going to break or did you just think it would? it's a judgement call on your part.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 11:51:27 am »
DC,, I agree,, but when I started,,  I read Jay Massey and Pope and Young both expressed the opinion that backings had reduced failure in their bow making,, so I figure it couldnt hurt,,and took their experience or opinion to heart,,

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 01:11:34 pm »
Rawhide, linen, silk and burlap (in that order) can be put on with Titebond 3 and add protection.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 02:58:52 pm »
I had a rawhide backed osage longbow, "Shere Kahn", that had over 1000 arrows shot through it and one night me and Evan Williams had a discussion about using back muscles at the end of my draw to increase my draw length by 2 inches. When I tried a demonstration poor "Shere Kahn" became a takedown bow, in a dozen or so pieces. It was quite the explosion but my point is a backing won't keep a bow from blowing and in my case it didn't help stupid.  (--)
 I'd say these backings are more of an insurance policy for you, to give you a little more confidence in your bow. Any time I'm not sure of a bows back I will put a rawhide backing on it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bassman

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2020, 04:48:08 pm »
I got a kick out of your story Pat B.  I have had self bows explode into several pieces. Wild Choke Cherry comes to mind. With backed bows it seems like it slowed the process down for me.You hear a crack ,and when you stop ,and look  you see the crack coming through the backing. Never had a backed bow explode like some of the self bows.

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2020, 06:08:40 pm »
Also rawhide can vary quite a bit in strength depending on how it was treated to make it into rawhide.     I made some good stuff many years ago and backed a HHB bow which I later deliberately tried to break by overdrawing.  I could not do it.  The string would just slip off the tips.