Author Topic: bow scraper recommendation  (Read 1243 times)

Offline eastcreekarchery

bow scraper recommendation
« on: November 05, 2020, 11:44:10 am »
any?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: bow scraper recommendation
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 04:16:06 pm »
I use my Swedish push knife as a scraper. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 04:46:19 pm »
Any rectangular shaped piece of hard flexible steel works fine.   You can just make one out of an old saw blade.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 04:56:28 pm »
That's actually a pretty big question. Some people use a number of different scrapers depending on what they are doing. The big paint scrapers with a handle are used for more heavy material removal, card scrapers, knives, scissors and others for more fine work. I made one out of an old 10" circular saw blade, as PatM mentions.

I find card scrapers hard on the fingers because you flex them a bit to curve the edge against the wood. On my saw blade scraper I cut one side with a straight edge and one side with an arc so that it presents to the wood similar to a properly used card scraper, but it is much easier on the fingers because there is no flex required (or possible, it is too thick to bend by hand).

Also, if you haven't got one, get a farrier's rasp for the rough wood removal. Prices are reasonable and they are a fantastic tool for carving down a stave with good control.

Mark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 05:09:38 pm »
Get a cheap pair of scissors and nock out the rivet and you have 2 good scrapers.  I bought a set of scrapers with a rectangular, one with a convex side, one with a concave side and a goose neck scraper. These come in handy but my favorite is one I got from Pappy. I think it was from an old band saw blade.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 05:35:00 pm »
Years ago I used to use an old, worn out meat cleaver as a scraper. It was all I had but it worked. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline eastcreekarchery

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 08:05:18 pm »
I think ill try making one. I have tons of decommissioned tool steel lying around...

Online Selfbowman

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2020, 08:18:32 pm »
I like a 10” planer blade with duck tape on each end Best but have most all of the above . Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline TimBo

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2020, 08:40:22 pm »
I really like my Mystic Scraper, but it is about the same as the ones mentioned above. 

bownarra

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2020, 11:48:45 pm »
Just buy a decent cabinet scraper. Veritas make good ones. A proper scraper is superior and costs very little. Learning how to correctly sharpen them is another story. A correctly sharpened cabinet scraper is a joy to use. Forget the scirrors, saw blades etc...imo

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2020, 12:18:05 am »
I used my Buck 119 hunting knife.  All the above suggestions are good, cabinet scraper set is about $20.00 USD.  REGARDLESS, LEARN HOW TO SHARPEN!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2020, 12:24:04 am »
I really like my Mystic Scraper, but it is about the same as the ones mentioned above.

Second this. 

Offline willie

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2020, 12:40:05 am »
the mystic is stainless steel? is it magnetic? is it easy to roll the hook?