Author Topic: laburnum longbow  (Read 3130 times)

Offline tibor

laburnum longbow
« on: November 04, 2020, 02:14:12 pm »
laburnum longbow with horn tips 68 inch long 66lb/28inch

Offline tibor

Re: laburnum longbow
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 02:15:23 pm »
foto

Offline tibor

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 02:16:38 pm »
foto

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 02:27:26 pm »
That's a nice crooked stick (-S

Offline barebo

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 07:47:09 am »
I'm amazed at the tiller you achieved with the amount of knots in that stave ! Nice job - excellent craftsmanship.

Offline HH~

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 08:04:00 am »
Nothin wrong with that bow.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 06:14:33 pm »
How much experience do you have with using such small laburnum branches? People say the sap is weak in tension, what are your thoughts?

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 09:15:50 pm »
I’m interested in the details too...I’m new to this game, and this is the first bow I’ve seen made from this wood.  It is beautiful!

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2020, 11:41:12 pm »
Great!

bownarra

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2020, 12:09:32 am »
How much experience do you have with using such small laburnum branches? People say the sap is weak in tension, what are your thoughts?

I don't know where that came from as the sapwood is like rubber.  :) Labernum is absolutely top class wood, treat it like yew and it will make a superb bow. Deep and narrow is best, wide flatbows don't have the return speed. It loves sinew and reflex :)

Lovely bow there, I bet she shoots nice :) Try and find a piece that will give you a full heartwood belly :)

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2020, 06:46:29 pm »

I don't know where that came from as the sapwood is like rubber.  :)

Try and find a piece that will give you a full heartwood belly :)

This was going to be my next question, how does the sapwood go on the belly?

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2020, 09:08:58 pm »
I was thinking the same when I first saw the bow...I was thinking it was like a Yew bow in reverse.  I googled the wood last night and saw bows that were sapwood back and heartwood belly...beautiful BTW...and was thinking that this bow was built in reverse.  Now I'm noticing that the back is possibly stained a bit?? but the back is sapwood...almost the entire bow is sapwood if I'm seeing it correctly.  Just a small portion of the rounded belly was deep enough in the stave to have just a small bit of heartwood showing in a stripe down the center of the belly.  I think that is what I am seeing.  If so, it appears that the sapwood is good in both tension and compression?  Or is that small strip of heartwood taking the brunt of the compression forces? 

Anyone with experience with this wood....please post what you know about it.  I'd love to pick up a stave, but I could not find anywhere online that hints at staves for sale.  From what I could find, it's a European tree and trees in the US thrive where it doesn't get too hot or humid in the summertime and doesn't get too cold in the winter.  PNW?  Most of what I read about were trees planted as ornamental beauties in gardens...could not find anything about them growing in the wild in the US.  Again, anyone who can post any info about laburnum...please do, and I'm in the market for a stave!

bownarra

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2020, 12:19:02 am »
What do you want to know?

Offline tibor

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2020, 02:46:53 am »
I made this bow from sapling, which was about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and had a very small core. The bow is not colored, after removing the cambium it turned out to be such a color that I like ...

Offline MM2

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2020, 05:11:14 am »
Great bow! (As usual  :) ) Thank's for sharing!

Michael