Author Topic: Fixing an overdrawn boo backed hickory R/D  (Read 846 times)

Offline Flyonline

Fixing an overdrawn boo backed hickory R/D
« on: November 04, 2020, 03:42:29 am »
This bow was gifted to me after the owner overdrew it somewhat past the recommended d/l. It's taken a bit of set in the bottom limb in the form of a slight hinge around some chrysalling just where the deflex flattens out (about 2.5-3" worth). The ring lines have also lifted a little where it's been over stressed into small ridges running along the limb following the grain.

64" NTN
55# @ 28"
Boo backed hickory with purple heart (I'm assuming) powerlam and tip wedge
1 3/8" at the fades straight taper to 3/8" at the nock

My plan was to scrape off finish and down through chyrsals then over patch with another lam of hickory then re-tiller bottom limb only back to good. I don't care what it ends up at, I'd rather have a shooter at 40# than a hanger at 55. So far I've successfully patched another chrysal that formed around a small knot on the edge of the limb, but that was only a scallop rather than a full overlay.

Does this sound reasonable? I'm assuming the original owner shot split vs my 3 under from the nock height on this and another bow I bought off him. I've included a photo drawn to about 25-30#

Thanks

Steve

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Fixing an overdrawn boo backed hickory R/D
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 07:33:56 am »
Be warned, chrysals go a lot deeper than one might think 1/8" - 3/16"
As long as you get down to sound wood, it should be repairable.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 08:49:17 am »
First cut down at the chyrsal to see how deep it goes, this will give you an idea of how thick to make your lam.

Your solution is very doable and right up my ally, I have saved a bunch of bows doing fixes that others wouldn't attempt just to see if I could.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 07:53:01 pm »
Are you sure it was overdrawn?  Looks more like the kind of damage you would see from the wrong type of bracer being used
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Flyonline

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 01:55:54 am »
Del

yes, I found that out with my scallop fix - it just kept going! These seem very fine, if I didn't know better I'd call them hazing cracks in the finish.

Eric

I only have one hickory lam at the moment, and I'll probably have to thin it down to be useful. It's a junk lam anyway, so it will be a perfect use for it  :OK

Marc

I'm only repeating what I was told, I've only strung it the once and haven't shot it at all. The other limb does have some roughness about it like the lifting ridges on the bottom limb, but it might just be lack of finish sanding by the bowyer.

Steve

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 04:48:18 am »
Ah, yes, when we first meet chrysals, we think maybe it's a tool mark, or a crack in the finish, maybe it will sand out... and we try and it reappears... they are evil insidious things that I hate with a passion.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.