Author Topic: Hickory Cambium removal question  (Read 2022 times)

Offline mutt

Hickory Cambium removal question
« on: November 03, 2020, 07:54:44 am »
I have a hickory stave which I am roughing out while its seasoning/drying. There is about 1/8" of cambium on the back.
To remove this would I be better off to scrape it with a draw knife or try to draw knife it off the regular way you would remove bark or chase rings? the stave has been cut about 3 months. its on there pretty tight.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hickory Cambium removal question
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 08:27:44 am »
Try to get under the cambium at one tip and see if it will lift off, in pieces or all at once. If it was cut 3 months ago, during the growing season it might just work.
 If it won't peel off use your draw knife gingerly and get what you can without damaging the white hickory below. Then you can either use a curved instrument, like a spoon to get what's left in the valleys. Sometimes re-hydrating somewhat helps.
 You might try laying a damp towel over the cambium first and see if that helps loosen it up some for you.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

gutpile

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 08:48:10 am »
I wouldn't use a draw knife.. too easy to lift a splinter or gouge back... I use a scraper if its tough.. never tried dry heat cambium is really thin and may toast it right off... or loosen.. worth a quick try.... that might work ..or wetting like Pat suggested.. but I try to stay away from hydrating hickory where I live...  mine I cut in summer so it usually pops off with bark... a lil doesn't hurt on back either... camo effect... gut

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 08:56:34 am »
A little bit of moisture shouldn't go into the wood and if it does, not enough to worry about.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

gutpile

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 09:21:22 am »
I agree Pat.. wondering though if dry heat would curl the tips of cambium enough to pull it too... gut

Offline RyanY

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 09:32:52 am »
+1 to Pat’s recommendation. Get as close as you feel comfortable with the draw knife and then switch to a scraper. Bevel down with the draw knife won’t pull up splinters unless you’re recklessly digging into the wood.

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2020, 09:48:13 am »
If you leave it on does it just pop off later?
In the woods I find my peace

gutpile

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2020, 09:56:13 am »
the sap is whats got it gripping ... I've left some pieces on before in dips that I couldn't get off... after I sealed bow they have stayed no issues... since the sap is whats holding it... I really would like to hear if dry heat will loosen it... I dont see why not... I have never tried it though but seems logical now I think about it.  ... gut

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2020, 10:10:17 am »
Sometimes it will pop off later. I try to get as much off as possible. I don't mind some in the valleys. Gives a good camo effect.

Offline mutt

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2020, 10:14:49 am »
i'll try some dry heat this evening on one of the tips.
If you get a piece starting to pop off and you just grab and pull will it pull up splinters from the back?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2020, 10:18:36 am »
You'll just have to try it and see. I don't know. If it does, it shouldn't hurt anything at the tip.

gutpile

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2020, 10:22:04 am »
sweet.. dont cook it though.. if its going to work just getting it hot too touch will tell the tale.. you dont want to cook the back... gut

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2020, 10:29:31 am »
Something that may be worth a try is an iron and a wet cloth. I have no experience with Hickory but I have noticed with other wood that laying a wet cloth on it and applying a hot iron momentarily loosens the bark. You have to do small areas at a time as the bark glues itself back down pretty quickly.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2020, 10:36:17 am »
That might just be the trick, DC.

Offline PatM

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2020, 11:55:46 am »
You can run the stave through steam to get it to loosen.