Author Topic: Walnut stain  (Read 1427 times)

Black Moshannon

Walnut stain
« on: November 05, 2020, 05:31:55 am »
I have a new hickory bow I’m working and and I’m considering staining the back of the bow with a walnut stain I made. The belly will end up being dark enough by the heat treat. This stain was just some water in which black walnut hulls soaked in. Afterwards I put it in a jar and it seemed to go bad so I took the lid off and left it. It still smells bad. I stained some leather with it and the stain is strong. I’m worried the bacteria in the stain will do damage to the back of my bow. Any thoughts? I’ve never used a homemade stain before

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Walnut stain
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 06:51:39 am »
Take a small amount of the stain and add denatured alcohol to kill any bacteria. Using a water based stain will raise the grain on the hickory so you will have to sand the hickory 'hairs" to get a smooth surface.
You could make more of a wash with the walnut stain by adding a lot of alcohol to a little stain so it only highlights the grain rather than a complete coverage.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 11:57:08 am »
I use walnut to stain most of my hickory bows. Rather than soak the walnut hulls in water and use the water to stain the wood, I soak the hulls in water just enough to fully hydrate them then rub the hulls on the wood for a good, dark stain. Wear rubber gloves when you do this, otherwise you will stain your skin and it will take a long time to wash out.

Offline bassman

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 04:16:32 pm »
I put green whole walnuts in plastic bags,and store in the basement. The skin breaks down through time, and I rub directly to the bow,and wipe off. Then use a heat  gun to dry it quick ,and bone it into the wood until it feels smooth. Then apply finish.

Black Moshannon

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 04:49:47 pm »
Thanks for the ideas. The stuff I have is as thick as molasses or used motor oil. I ended up taking a rag and rubbing it on the back and then put the bow back in the dryer. It looks pretty good. A little went a long way

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 06:10:59 pm »
Put 50-50 alcohol/water in you soupy stain and it won't mold or breakdown.

Black Moshannon

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 07:25:48 pm »

Will vodka work for this?

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 08:58:16 pm »
Pat tell me more about making a wash
In the woods I find my peace

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2020, 03:44:23 am »
some vinegar in the water should keep mold out

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2020, 12:29:39 pm »

Will vodka work for this?

That would be a waste of good vodka. Use gin ;D