Author Topic: water resistant finish?  (Read 1338 times)

Offline eastcreekarchery

water resistant finish?
« on: November 05, 2020, 11:45:47 am »
I plan on finishing with tru oil. What should i put on after to help with waterproofing/resistance?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: water resistant finish?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 04:14:52 pm »
On osage I've used 3 coats of Tru Oil primarily as a grain filler and then I've sprayed on 3 coats of Spar Varnish. I know some people think multiple coats of Tru Oil are enough but I'm just not one of them.

On other woods I spray on 3 coats of Spar Varnish.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 04:47:00 pm »
Paste wax.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 05:13:31 pm »
I use 5 to 6 coats of Tru-Oil and a quick spray of satin poly to cut the shine. It's always worked for me.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline eastcreekarchery

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 08:06:41 pm »
Ill try the tru oil with a poly finish

bownarra

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 11:50:19 pm »
Tru oil isn't great. Just buy some pure tung oil. Far better water resitance and looks much better, whilst also being easier to apply :)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 07:02:43 am »
I use tru-oil on all my bows, lots of coats, I don't have a problem with it and find it to be a really good finish.

I used to put spar urethane over the tru-oil to cut the shine, I found over time the spar didn't bond well to the tru-oil and would flake off in spots. I got where I like the shine now, a light rub with green scotch bright pad will get rid of it as well.

One thing to remember; no matter how much finish you put on a bow you are only slowing moisture migration in and out of the wood. We see this a lot in our flintlock rifles, you can have a part perfectly inletted into a stock, have a few extra dry days and the part will  have a gap around it and be standing proud. This is with multiple coats of very good oil finish.

Hickory bows get sluggish because of this migration if the weather is really damp for a few days, osage, not so much.

The most durable and water resistant finish I have ever used is epoxy acetone. It is a pain to put on but does a really good job.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 08:03:27 am »
More on epoxy acetone for those who haven't heard of it;

No special formula; put a couple of ounces of acetone in a small jar, I use baby food jars. Squeeze about 1/4" (bottom of the jar) of two ton epoxy(double tubes) into the jar. Stir with a popsicle stick until the epoxy is completely dissolved.

Dip a small piece of (2" square) of tee shirt in the mix to saturate it, wear rubber gloves. Because the acetone evaporates so fast you wil only get a couple of quick swipes on your bow before it gets real tacky. This mix makes a super shiny finish, the shine can be knocked off with steel wool or a scotch bright pad. I understand that guys who want a perfect satin finish go over the shiny finish with rottenstone.

If it is a hot sunny day the epoxy will cure in a few hours and be ready for another coat. Unless I am in a hurry I usually let the coats cure overnight and spend a week putting on 7 or 8 coats.

If epoxy acetone is used on arrows you can loose an arrow under the grass for a month or two and the finish will still be pristine when you find it.

A couple of variables; more acetone less epoxy gives you more working time but will need more coats, 5 Minute epoxy will cure faster, I am stuck in my ways and use the same two tone epoxy I started out with. This finish is also called a Massey finish, Jay Massey, writer and adventurer was the first to mention it. He said he lost a sinew backed hickory bow in an alaskan river, found it a month later and it was still shootable after month in the river, the massey finish protected it.

I am pretty sure my star bow student Darrin uses denatured alcohol to dissolve his epoxy with good results and a longer working time with his rag.

This mix will dissolve any writing on bows or cresting on arrows unless the paint is water based. I have crested over epoxy acetone and gone over the cresting with a couple coats of tru-oil. I am lazy now and only use tru-oil on my arrows.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 08:12:20 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Bad juju

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2020, 08:58:42 am »
More on epoxy acetone for those who haven't heard of it;

No special formula; put a couple of ounces of acetone in a small jar, I use baby food jars. Squeeze about 1/4" (bottom of the jar) of two ton epoxy(double tubes) into the jar. Stir with a popsicle stick until the epoxy is completely dissolved.

Dip a small piece of (2" square) of tee shirt in the mix to saturate it, wear rubber gloves. Because the acetone evaporates so fast you wil only get a couple of quick swipes on your bow before it gets real tacky. This mix makes a super shiny finish, the shine can be knocked off with steel wool or a scotch bright pad. I understand that guys who want a perfect satin finish go over the shiny finish with rottenstone.

If it is a hot sunny day the epoxy will cure in a few hours and be ready for another coat. Unless I am in a hurry I usually let the coats cure overnight and spend a week putting on 7 or 8 coats.

If epoxy acetone is used on arrows you can loose an arrow under the grass for a month or two and the finish will still be pristine when you find it.

A couple of variables; more acetone less epoxy gives you more working time but will need more coats, 5 Minute epoxy will cure faster, I am stuck in my ways and use the same two tone epoxy I started out with. This finish is also called a Massey finish, Jay Massey, writer and adventurer was the first to mention it. He said he lost a sinew backed hickory bow in an alaskan river, found it a month later and it was still shootable after month in the river, the massey finish protected it.

I am pretty sure my star bow student Darrin uses denatured alcohol to dissolve his epoxy with good results and a longer working time with his rag.

This mix will dissolve any writing on bows or cresting on arrows unless the paint is water based. I have crested over epoxy acetone and gone over the cresting with a couple coats of tru-oil. I am lazy now and only use tru-oil on my arrows.

Interesting you mention acetone epoxy mix. I build fishing lures and will use an epoxy acetone mix to seal wooden crankbaits. I don’t use the same epoxy though I use a product called envirotex lite which is a way better quality product and has a way longer working time

I have never tried it for a bow but from what you are describing it should be a good substitute with a longer work time and better quality finish

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2020, 10:44:02 am »
Once you mix the epoxy and acetone the clock is ticking, right? The epoxy will go off in the jar or does the acetone have to evaporate before the epoxy starts to cure?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2020, 11:15:49 am »
Juju,
Where do you get the enviro tex?
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Bad juju

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2020, 11:21:43 am »
Juju,
Where do you get the enviro tex?
Hawkdancer

Most hardware stores it’s a self leveling epoxy normally used for table tops

When mixed with acetone it takes over 24hrs to dry

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2020, 03:14:00 pm »
Capped, the epoxy mix in your jar will last a week, possibly two, then it sets up.