Author Topic: How many inner tubes for wrapping bow?  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Bad juju

How many inner tubes for wrapping bow?
« on: October 29, 2020, 02:24:11 pm »
Slowly collecting supplies to build my first bow

I noticed using strips of bicycle inner tube to wrap the bow when laminating wood is a common method.

How many inner tubes do you use with this method? Or is there other options you recommend

Offline DC

Re: How many inner tubes for wrapping bow?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 02:39:47 pm »
I use a single layer of bicycle tube. I cut the tube into about 3/4-1' wide strips and wrap the bow so the strips just touch each other. If you use epoxy you can stand the bow out in the sun and it will get to about 95-100° depending on where you live. I find 2-3 bike tubes is lots. Glue the pieces together, put on a few wraps of packing or masking tape to hold stuff in position, cover with Saran wrap and then wrap with the tubes. Use the Saran or you glue the rubber to the bow.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 02:43:41 pm by DC »

Offline Bad juju

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 03:05:28 pm »
I will be using tight bond III if that makes a difference

I will have to go with a heated room since it’s a winter project in central Alberta

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 03:10:43 pm »
I use one tube. I cut out the valve stem section then cut the tube lengthwise into 2 bands, one for each limb.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bad juju

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 03:22:58 pm »
Thanks guys

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 03:27:15 pm »
Wrap it as tight as you can. I don't think you can over tighten using tube bands. I start at the handle and wrap out each limb separately toward the tips.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Flntknp17

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2020, 11:02:12 pm »
As has been said, wrap tightly and leave a little space between the wraps so the glue can dry.  I use TB3 and innertubes for all my backed bows.  Its an extremely simple, yet very effective combination.  I use two innertubes, one for each limb, though on bows under about 62", I can get by with one tube.

Matt

bownarra

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 02:46:03 am »
If you only use one wrap per limb you run the risk of lams slipping, inducing twist etc.
Use 4 tubes per bow.
One goes from handle to tip wrapped clockwise, then the next goes from tip to handle wrapped the OPPOSITE way. One wrap one way one the other eliminates problems and means flawless gluelines. I strongly suggest you don't just use one per limb. This comes from someone who has glued up many hundreds of lam bows :)
Before you wrap anything with the tubes though you should arrange the lams, wrap parcel tape around the form and lams every 8 inches or so. Again one wrap one direction its neighbour the opposite. Then once everything is taped down wrap with saranwrap. Then wrap with the tubes.

Offline Bad juju

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 06:04:58 am »
Thanks again everyone

Bownarra I like the principles behind running a wrap clockwise and another counter clockwise to combat possible twist. I will go with this approach for sure

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2020, 08:45:14 am »
You can add an alignment pin(or 2) at the handle to keep everything in line as you wrap the inner tubes. Do a dry run holding the pieces taped together and drill down through the backing into the belly at the handle with an 1/8" drill and add either bamboo skewer(s) of 1/8" dowel. Remove the pins, glue up the lams and reinstall the pin(s) and start wrapping. These pins will keep everything lined up as you wrap. When done cut the pins flush with the back and sand smooth.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2020, 01:24:59 pm »
I think another factor is how thick the lams are and if you are pulling them into any tight curves.
Thick lams + tight curves... more strapping.
Also when pulling on the straps, really pull hard, it should be a good work out by the time you've strapped up both limbs (and your hands will stink of rubber  ::))
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Flntknp17

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2020, 01:40:42 pm »
RE: What bownarra said,

I agree with this when doing multiple lams.  Makes perfect sense.  I have not ever had one slip laterally when doing just one gluing surface (i.e. a hickory or boo back on a core wood).  I should have specified that the vast majority of the gluing I do involves only one glue surface and not multiple at the same time.