Author Topic: A new Roman arrow firing machine  (Read 23521 times)

Offline Dane

Re: A new Roman arrow firing machine
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2008, 09:59:20 am »
One more image, if I can be so bold. This is the drawing I've been working on for the trigger assembly for the manuballista, or small scorpion. I'm happy with this particular effort, and will now make the patterns to cast the components. Bronze will be more than strong enough for these parts, though if I was builiding a large stone throwing ballista, I'd want these made from iron or steel.

You can see the linear Greek-style ratchet on the side of the machine. The pawls, one on each side of the wooden slider, will engage the ratchet as I lean my weight on the machine, thereby spanning or cocking the machine. With the 2" inch scorpio, there will be a winch assembly at the end of the machine. Much more power, and a much better system in this instance.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Dane

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 09:23:09 pm »
For those who are interested, I've done a lot more work on the machine, and it is starting to look like a catapult.

The case is completed, which is the part with the dovetail groove that the wooden slider will fit into, which has a groove at top for the arrow, and slides up so that the pawls on the trigger assembly can hook over the bowstring. The winch cheeks are glued on, but still have to be pegged for exta strength. The bronze circular ratchet will be placed there, as well as another pawl, which will engage the ratchet as you crank back the machine to full draw.

It weighs in at 17 pounds right now, but will weigh more later, after I rivet on the steel plating for the spring frame, and fit on the other metal parts at the rear.

Dane

Offline Dane

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 09:24:21 pm »
Here is a shot of myself standing next to the catapulta. It it about 5' long.

Dane

Offline Dane

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2008, 09:27:45 pm »
Last, here it is sitting a bit lamely on the stand I had build a few months back. I won't be actually making and fitting on the universal joint, which allows the piece to travers and elevate, until the spring frame is entirely done, to make sure I find the exact fulcrum point, so the machine sits perfectly level and doesn't droop foward of backwards. If it doesnt look quite in scale, you are correct. The stand was concieved for a 4" machine. I plan to make a smaller center column, and mortise in the legs and cross pieces, which I don't need to alter in any way for that to work. The larger column I can set aside for some future project, or just as a very heavy paper weight.

Dane

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2008, 10:19:19 pm »
That's one wild machine Dane ;D. I wanna see it done along with some pic's of the damage it's done - bet you do too huh :)..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Dane

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2008, 07:54:42 am »
Thanks Paul. The whole point really is the damage the machine can inflict! I'll be taking viido when I run the tests, and will post it here. Pumpkins, watermellon, 3D targets, all will die. :)

I was having a discussion of arrow firing macihnes with a guy who runs the local concertina store (we do have one, strange to say). He asked me why the Romans would field 60 or so of these machines with a legion on campaign, and I had to tell him the entire point of engaging the enemy was to destroy him completely. He didn't quite get it.

Dane

Offline DanaM

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2008, 09:13:02 am »
I need one of these in the backyard, would really make the neighbors wonder ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Dane

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2008, 09:23:53 am »
lol, Dana. I was thinking of mounting the machine in the back of a pick up and then driving into Manhattan. No more long lines to worry about at Starbucks.

I have this annoying old neighbor, Ivan. He spends many hours in his folding chair staring at nothing, day in and day out, and spying on everyone. His garage is next to mine, so he is out there often when I'm working in the shop area. He of course has no idea what I'm building, which is probably a good thing. I am certain there are no laws on the books about building artillary in your garage, but you never know.

Dane

Offline Dane

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2008, 06:40:30 pm »
Well, for those of you still interested in this tomfoolery, much has been done with the catapults.

Here is a shot taken last month in Vermont at a living history timeline event. Sure, I am dressed as an auxilia archer rather than a legionary (hint: the uncouth trousers and long sleeved tunic gives me away as a crude barbarian, but I made all the clothing myself out of linen, uncouth or not). The scorpio is clamped to the stand temporarily using a hand screw, as I have to wait unti it is plated, strung, and all the other parts completed to find the exact fulcrum point for the universal joint.

I've recently gotten good at hand forming copper rivets using a heavy ball peen hammer and lots of sweat, and will be cutting out, drilling, and bluing / blackening 16 guage mild sheet steel to plate the spring frame over the coming week. This will simulate Roman hand forged iron plating, which was hand hammered until flat, then heated up in the forge, fat was rubbed on, and it was polished with fiber waste. This weekend, I'm making a primitive anvil using a large sledghammer head turned up end and embedded into a log. It will come in handy for pounding sinew and other jobs, as well. Bob Patrick, a member of PA boards, has been an amazing partner and inspiration throughout this process, and I clearly would not be nearly where I am or be able to produce such qulity without him. His hand forged nails he has provided to me are absolutely beautful. Shots of those will come when they are installed.

I simulated one rope spring using poly rope, to try out some ideas. I ended up using about 75 feet of rope for one spring, so I expect this machine will take about 150 to 200 feet of horsehair rope. The small scorpio-minor (his name is "Sharp Little Teeth") sitting on the ground will take considerably less.

I have 18 pounds of bronze in transit right now, so I am nearly ready to begin casting all bronze parts for both machines.

I also have some red milk paint, and expect the machines will look handsome in dark red and yellow, with bronze and steel ratchet, washers, etc.

I expect to have the machines both done within 3 months, and then the fun begins.

Dane

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2008, 08:07:51 pm »
Wow! Will you sell the plans to build them. I think I could really go for the smaller one. Looks hand portable!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Dano

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2008, 08:43:17 pm »
That's a fine piece so far , keep up the good work, I can't wait to see it flingin arras.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Rich Saffold

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2008, 08:45:48 pm »
Maybe you can do a penetration test on Ivan's Car, like the drivers side door with ol' Ivan sitting in the drivers seat! ;D
That would keep him from staring non-stop....

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2008, 11:52:04 pm »
when can we see it shoot? >:D

SJM

Offline DanaM

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2008, 07:03:33 am »
Great stuff Dane, thanks for sharing with us eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Dane

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2008, 08:45:34 am »
Thanks, everyone.

YewArcher, as soon as it is ready to begin shooting tests, I'll be documenting it with video as well as still shots, and will post those here of course. I exepect maybe 3 months, but maybe a bit longer. For certain, before the end of the year. Same with Sharp Little Teeth.

D Tiller, I can help you out in designing and building your own machine. I recently came across references from Philon that there were very tiny arrow shooting machines, some as small as a 1/2 span, which means they shot 4.5 inch long arrows or darts, and had 1/2" diameter springs. That is even smaller than the scorpio-minor. No one has found one yet, but only one small wooden framed catapult has ever been found, as well (the Xantan machine I used as a point of departure to develop the scorpio-minor). Much has been lost in 2000+ years.

Dane