Author Topic: extreme FoC with wood  (Read 4924 times)

Offline Titan_Bow

extreme FoC with wood
« on: May 02, 2008, 08:00:57 pm »
I've had some conversations with a co-worker whose killed several elk with a lam longbow and aluminum arrows.   He shoots a 60# R/D longbow, and I would assume about a 550-600gr arrow. He has shot several elk with this setup, using both zwickeys and woodsman.  He was saying that penetration was pretty poor on all the elk he's killed, especially when a rib is encountered.   
 I'm building a mulberry bow for this years elk hunt and I'm planning on a 55-60 lb bow at 28".  I want to maximize arrow penetration as much as possible.  Reading Ed Ashbys recent articles in TBM rehashes some old ideas of penetration (ie. heavy arrows, 3:1 ratio head, etc.) however, I was really surprised at how much importance he places on Forward of Center and its effects on penetration.  I've heard alot from guys that shoot carbons claim that penetration has been awesome with the extreme FoC carbons where you can really load up the weight on the point end. 
  I was thinking of going with tapered doug fir shafts and make trade point broadheads in a 3:1 style and try for a 200gr or more head. I think this would start to get me into the FoC range similar to these carbons.    Anyone out there doing this?  How do you match field points?  I was thinking of trying to melt some lead fishing weights and drop it into a 160gr field point to bring it up to weight??  For the guys that make trade points; what sort of dimensions do you think would yield a 200-225gr or so head?
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
Re: extreme FoC with wood
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 09:35:36 pm »
 I hunt a heavy arrow,I accomplish the weight forward by using tapered shafts with the big end next to the broadhead.I use heavy wood for shafts(Right now I am using sitka alder shoots(It's local) They are giving me shafts that weigh almost 800 grains.(Almost 30 inches long) The three to one ratio is good and it does'nt have to be weighted if your shaft is heavy enough.Some guys will weight forward thier lighter shafts by footing them with a dense hardwood.That works good too. You want an even transition where the broadhead joins the shaft and you want the shaft wood sanded down very,very smooth.I put a poly finish on the shaft to make it as slick as possible,this makes a difference.The broadhead has to be sharp enough to shave with. I can't see that with these things in mind you will get less than excellent penetration. Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 09:37:20 pm »
That's what my points weigh ,just over 200 grains . They are 16 gauge hot rolled steel.

3" long ,1" wide ,7/8" X 3/8" tang.

Ralph

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 04:30:47 am »
 Wow Ralph !...Thats a great looking head,that ought to "Get "er done"  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Titan_Bow

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 07:27:47 pm »
Did some research and Ace makes a 200gr broadhead and 200gr fieldpoints.  I think I will try and make my trade points at 200gr and be able to match that weight with my broadheads. 

Offline Juniper

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 05:19:56 pm »
I've taken two elk with a lam recurve 56#.  The first was with a 3:1 style broadhead, extremely sharp, got complete pass through at 25yds with a lighter arrow (approx 480gr).  The arrow dead centered a rib on the way in and clipped one on the way out.  I feel that the shape & sharpness of the head was the most important thing in this particular scenario.  Second elk with same bow, different broadhead, arrow around 500gr.  This head was not as long, maybe 2-2.5:1 with a bleeder blade installed.  I was a little worried about the bleeder blade, but the main blades were very sharp.  Again at 25 yards broadhead went completely through, but the arrow barely stayed in the animal.  I believe the sharpness of the broadhead makes ALOT of difference.  I think most traditional broadheads are not sharp enough "out of the box" and should be sharpened to a razor edge.  Haven't shot an animal with at trade point (yet) but you can bet one thing, it will be sharp. 

Offline Titan_Bow

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 05:38:18 pm »
Thanks for the input Juniper!  I have shot STOS heads for the last several years, more of a 3:1 style.  I plan on making trade points in that same sort of style, but try and get the weight around 200gr.  It is very encouraging to hear the good penetration stories, lol.  Congrats on the elk

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 05:54:19 pm »
Be sure you support your 3:1 ratio head very well with the shaft. There is a lot of leverage at that ratio that can dislodge a trade point from the shaft.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Titan_Bow

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 06:24:07 pm »
Thanks Pat, my plan is to use the shaft as the "ferrule"   Similar to this drawing I did to get an idea