Author Topic: Trilam Q  (Read 2786 times)

Offline simk

Trilam Q
« on: October 21, 2020, 06:00:24 am »
Hi

I'm on the trilam route for the first time and have a q:

Does it make any difference wheather I'm gleueing all 3 strips at once or if I do the glueup in two steps: first belly and midlam and then backing later?

I'm using a well curved caul for the glueeup.

Thanx for advice!  (-S

cheers

« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 09:18:24 am by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Trilam Q
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 10:57:00 am »
I believe there are advantages to gluing up one at a time with different degrees of reflex with each glue up. The disadvantage to gluing it all up together is keeping everything lined up and in place as you clamp it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 01:04:41 pm »
Glue-up everything at once to begin with. Once you have some stack figures you can start experimenting. The simplest way to pre-stress or perry refelx is to glue your belly lams (spliced at handle) in deflex then 'force' it onto the form and into reflex.

Offline simk

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 01:12:22 pm »
Thanks very much guys, that all makes sense and helps for decision making - I will glue everything at once. My caul is rigid and the lams are full length...once I will have to splice them I will play that trick. (-S

--- the queen rules ----

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 02:25:13 pm »
My caul is rigid and the lams are full length...once I will have to splice them I will play that trick. (-S

It doesn't matter if they are full length or not, you can always glue in deflex on the belly lams, then pull it into reflex on the form while gluing on the backing.

Mark

Offline simk

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 06:27:40 am »
thanx Mark,
sadly I will not be able to force a doubled lam into my caul   :-\
--- the queen rules ----

Offline silent sniper

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 07:04:49 pm »
Simk,
I have done it both ways. I have done many by gluing all at once. Lately I have been gluing up the core and then adding the backing. I feel that I potentially get better limb alignments when I do it in two steps, but If done correcting gluing all at once certainly works just fine. You will have have to try for yourself and see what works best for you.
Cheers,
Taylor

bownarra

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 01:30:36 am »
My caul is rigid and the lams are full length...once I will have to splice them I will play that trick. (-S

It doesn't matter if they are full length or not, you can always glue in deflex on the belly lams, then pull it into reflex on the form while gluing on the backing.

Mark

Unless you use thin lams you will be struggling :) You will also need some good pressure strips.

Offline simk

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2020, 03:41:37 pm »
thanks Taylor! very helpful information! doing all at once anyway seems more economic  ;)
 :)
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2020, 03:52:26 pm »
If you do it all at once wrap masking tape around the bundle in a couple of places.It gets pretty slippery.  Something else I've done is to add an alignment pin at the handle area to hold the bundle together while you add the clamps. I drilled a 1/8" hole down through the center of the bundle at the handle into the riser and added a bamboo skewer or dowel as the pin. Do a dry run first. You can cut the pin flush after the glue dries.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline simk

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2020, 03:47:41 am »
Yes PatB, it gets slippery - not easy to control that middle lam. I too was thinking about that pin idea...this really could work well  :OK This time I just started clamping in the middle and continously aligned everything while clamping more towards the tips. Got acceptable accurracy and have enough wood for last little adjustments.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 04:16:41 am by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2020, 10:16:18 am »
One pin works well, 2 pins side by side, even better.  :OK

bownarra

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2020, 01:08:24 pm »
Just tape it down with parcel tape. A wrap every foot or so. You can use spring clamps on the sides of your lams to hold them still and in line intially. Then wrap the full thing in what we call clingfilm and I think you call it saran wrap :) Nothing moves after you get the tape on and the saranwrap stops glue getting on everything.
Once you get your method sorted it is easy enough.

bownarra

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2020, 01:11:08 pm »
Clamping like you have done isn't ideal without using a pressure strip. Aluminium strips or thin stainless strips work well. You risk poor gluelines when using a few too few clamps. There is a lot going for using innertubes on these sort of glue-ups.

Offline simk

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2020, 01:43:11 pm »
you are probably right bownarra  ;D I usually use the innertubing bad was too lazy this time to cut new rubber bands...just went with the clamps I had. glued two bows, not so bad, quite happy with the results. one limb shows little gaps on one side, but wont fail  ;D will probably buy a few more of the liitle cheap clamps... clamps allow good control. rubber bands sometimes seem to tend to tighten somehow assymmetric if not applied very careful.
--- the queen rules ----