Author Topic: Severe knot problem  (Read 1437 times)

Offline simk

Severe knot problem
« on: October 07, 2020, 11:50:39 am »
 Hi dear Bowyers

I'm currently working on a laburnum stave. While taking down some sapwood there's a knot rising more and more out of the sap :o

Also a remain of a little branch appeared, which means I will not be able to go with an intact ring in this spot. I'm planning to take down another sap layer around the knot.

What should I do? The knot is in the middle of the bending zone...

Just try to work around as good as possible? Rasp it down some...? Other?

I'm a little clueless at the moment. Ideas?

Thanx a lot! :o
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: Severe knot problem
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 12:08:11 pm »
rasp it down flat, take a screwdriver or nail and scrape all the dead pithy stuff out, fill it with sawdust and CA glue, sand it smooth, add a rawhide back.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline simk

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 12:46:46 pm »
thanx Deerhunter! That would be the most radical approach probably  ;D Not sure if I really really like it  :) It's somehow against my bowyer's philosophy. will have to think about it.  (-P
--- the queen rules ----

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 12:49:55 pm »
looks like the rings on back are violated,, I dont know that wood, will it be ok like that,,

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 12:51:33 pm »
I don't do a lot of ring chasing but I have run into knots like that. I think all you can do to avoid violating a ring is to leave the knot as on "outie" to a certain extent. My concern was mostly cosmetic. I was tempted to hollow it out but I think i just rasped it down to about 1/8" above the back. It looks like it's solid so the rings have to end somewhere.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 12:59:34 pm »
As a beginner, I think I would follow DC and leave as is but fill it with ca or epoxy.  I'd be afraid of violating rings at this point!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Online TimBo

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 12:59:52 pm »
Is laburnum not picky about violated rings, like yew?  That may influence your decision.  It seems like a pretty big knot to rasp flat...that wouldn't be my instinct.  With osage I would leave it and try very hard not to violate any rings.

Offline simk

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2020, 01:35:50 pm »
bradsmith: It's only the latewood/earlywood transition you see. also I will take down the last ring a little more careful...not using the sharp rasp anymore  :) not sure tough how violated rings already are at the top of the knot.
DC:rasping down to 1/8 and hollow a little the violated spot maybe is doable ;) if I leave the limb a little wider also there...
TimBo: I do chase a ring also with yew

Have to think about it. Last time I ran into a knot like this I planed the back and backed it. Would really like to avoid this on this pretty piece of wood. Maybe put it in the corner of pending projects and get another stave  :)

--- the queen rules ----

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2020, 01:54:24 pm »
Take the back ring down to a single growth ring, even at the knots and see what the back looks like. Also, square up the sides to also let you see what you've got. Then, post more pics.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2020, 02:41:07 pm »
take a draw knife and work the ring all the way to the limb in the middle,,

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2020, 02:59:33 pm »
You need to leave the limb wider at the knot. The knot needs to be the same ring as the back.
The knotted area should be tillered slightly stiffer than the rest of the limb. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

bownarra

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2020, 01:58:33 am »
Just work it to one ring....
The tree didn't break there did it? It won't break now IF you work it to one ring. :)
Good luck.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2020, 06:11:33 am »
Yep what bownarra said and also leave a little wider around that area. Beware the rings usually get really thin around and over a knot so go slow so not to violate the ring over the knot. I would also probably clean out the knot, if it goes all the way through you can usually punch it out.  :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline simk

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2020, 12:48:28 pm »
thanx everybody! I will do as suggested, chase another ring, clean up everything and upload new pics  (-S 
--- the queen rules ----