Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Paper testing

(1/5) > >>

DC:
In my shop I can get a sheet of paper set up about 8' from the bow. Is this far enough to tell me much about release and flight?

And is paper testing a decent option in liu of spine testing? If it's not cutting a great slash across the paper it must have come around the bow properly, right?

Badger:
  A good paper test would trump a spine calculation. Can't help you on the distance but I think about 8ft would be pretty good. Allen does a lot of paper testing I am pretty sure he will chime in.

DC:
I tried a couple of shots that showed the arrow was going sideways but I was using newspaper and it has a grain. Maybe I should use different paper?

Badger:
   A good starting point for spine on a 50# bow. Test your arrow on 22" centers instead of 26". You are looking for 1" deflection with a 2# weight. Very little spine is needed with no weight up front and light arrows.

DC:
Oh, very light, I'll try that. The paper training is saying that I need a stiffer arrow I think. I'm getting a 3" tear to the left. Since the bow is held horizontally in my machine left is actually up. I put the top to the right. Having the bow horizontal shouldn't have a big effect on this should it? I'm not sure what gravity would do in this case.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version