Author Topic: Getting a twist in one limb. Couple questions.  (Read 2455 times)

Offline BoisBrule

Getting a twist in one limb. Couple questions.
« on: October 05, 2020, 10:11:28 am »
Forgive me, I'm a rank noob at making bows.

This is a red oak pyramid bow, 58" from nock to nock (was longer, but an early mistake led to removing a few inches). I've backed it with one layer linen and TBII. It's only half tillered, currently about 35 pounds at 16", I'm shooting for around 40 at 28". I've got a long way to go.

The right limb is the lower limb, and if you look closely, you can see that it's twisting slightly toward the camera. Looking at it from the end confirms this.

Now, my gut says this is due to scraping the limb with uneven pressure on the scraper, and it's twisting towards the "stronger" edge of the limb. Before I go taking anything more off, though, I just wanted to ask for advice.

Thank you.

"...break the skin of civilization, and you find the ape, roaring and red-handed."

Offline DC

Offline BoisBrule

Re: Getting a twist in one limb. Couple questions.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 11:04:32 am »
I have not. Didn't even see it up there. Thank you.
"...break the skin of civilization, and you find the ape, roaring and red-handed."

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 11:18:06 am »
I have actually had very little luck trying to tiller out twist. I think you have to be sure it is actually a side to side thickness problem. Make sure of that before you start scraping or you will just be wasting time and wood. Most of my twisting problems have been string alignment problems.

Offline BoisBrule

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 11:23:34 am »
When braced, the string seems to be centered along the limbs, the nocks appear evenly cut. So you're saying that limb may be... off to the side a bit? The way to fix that would be trim the opposing edge of the limb, opposite the twist, then?

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 11:28:42 am »
Like I said, I've had very little luck with this so I don't want to give you bad advice. I usually use heat to twist them in the opposite direction, if you can follow that.

Offline BoisBrule

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 12:05:16 pm »
Appreciated. Thank you.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 12:07:03 pm »
Check the thickness from one side of the limb to the other on the twisting limb. If the limb is flat when relaxed but twisted under strain then your limbs are probably uneven in thickness from side to side.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 12:26:34 pm »
Check the thickness from one side of the limb to the other on the twisting limb. If the limb is flat when relaxed but twisted under strain then your limbs are probably uneven in thickness from side to side.
So if the limb is twisted as it lays flat it's probably twist from the tree itself?
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2020, 03:03:08 pm »
Yes.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bassman

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2020, 06:24:18 pm »
Side note. Your fades could be longer,and more gradual.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2020, 06:51:04 pm »
It will twist towards the weak side  sore move wood from the other side. Just a few passes at a time and exercise at short pulls 10 or so times. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline artcher1

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2020, 06:58:32 pm »
Looks like a natural twist since it appears to start right at the fade. Just me, but I'd bulbous that handle so that the bow would bend a little more for the draw length you're asking from it....Art

Offline BoisBrule

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2020, 01:07:42 pm »
I haven't even begin shaping the fades or the handle yet. I should get to that before proceeding, then?

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2020, 01:46:32 pm »
Del has an excellent video about limb twist and propellor twist and how to deal with each. https://youtu.be/RT1gSNyuP0w