Author Topic: Red Oak crack on the back  (Read 1574 times)

Offline dreamcraft_archery

Red Oak crack on the back
« on: October 03, 2020, 07:55:29 am »
Hi !
I'd appreciate your help guys. I was working on a Red Oak stave recurve when I noticed this crack on the bow back. :'( It's 3" long. The bow was planned to draw 50lbs at 28". The crack has appeared probably after heat treating and adding a bit of a reflex.
So... Is there any chance this bow will be working? Immediately I thought about using super glue... What do you think?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Red Oak crack on the back
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 08:01:28 am »
Fill the crack with superglue and forget it, it is not going to cause problems. This type if crack is the most common and the least likely to cause a problem after being filled with superglue.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 08:42:36 am »
I agree with, Eric. I would also clamp it with a screw type clamp. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 10:49:49 am »
Just looks like a drying check so there shouldn’t be any violated fibers.. I wouldn’t really worry about it like the others have said. This has happened to a lot of my red oak staves, especially the ones dried with sapwood.

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 07:29:28 pm »
 Yep. Exactly what they said.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

bownarra

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 01:32:06 am »
If you clamp it there is a strong chance it will open again. Just fill with thin superglue.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 07:43:03 am »
Yep, don't clamp it, you will be putting stress on it to close it and it won't hold. We see these types of crack sin a bamboo back often, when you fill it the glue soaks into the fibers and hardens them considerably.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 08:39:44 am »
I've glued and clamped quite a few bows with drying cracks. One osage bow had very severe cracks. Nothing detrimental has happened. In fact, that bow still shoots.

If you don't clamp then why even put a runny glue in the crack?

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 11:12:24 am »
The glue fills the crack and it ceases to be a crack, no clamping required.

Offline scp

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2020, 11:49:31 am »

Good question. Probably to prevent the gap from getting larger and for cosmetic reasons.

How about using a gab-filling but thin epoxy for oily wood?

Personally I'm too lazy and unconcerned to bother and just use thin superglue. But I do try to close too noticeable gaps by clamping lightly. I like to hear about any failure due to clamping.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2020, 01:16:49 pm »
Superglue placed on wood causes a chemical reaction, the wood changes to be like concrete. Put a few drops on a pile of sawdust and see what happens, the sawdust gets hot and the wood  becomes plastic wood. I use superglue and sawdust as a filler for inlets on my flintlock builds if I get them off a bit and the filler won't show.

I have stopped a bunch of drying checks on green wood by hitting them up with superglue.

I have filled hundreds of cracks on bows with superglue, never had a problem with any of them.

I have had drying checks on green staves open back up if I clamped them but not if I just filled them with superglue.

gutpile

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 12:41:05 pm »
wood wasn't completely dry when you heat treated.. appears it is only a drying check.. as above fill with glue..should be fine.. gut

bownarra

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2020, 01:54:17 am »
I've glued and clamped quite a few bows with drying cracks. One osage bow had very severe cracks. Nothing detrimental has happened. In fact, that bow still shoots.

Jawge

The crack itself isn't a problem. The problem is a spot where water can get in. The superglue simply fills the crack and elliminates water ingress :)