Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Vacuum Impregnating Wood for Flight Arrows?

<< < (3/3)

Del the cat:

--- Quote from: tradcraftsman on October 02, 2020, 12:50:46 pm ---How much mass would you actually save? Arrows aren't big and air isn't heavy.

--- End quote ---
The aim would be to get a stiffer shaft at a smaller diameter, consequently having less aerodynamic drag (wind resistance)... this is for flight shooting where even small differences in dimensions or stiffness can make a big difference to arrow performance. The difference between a good arrow and an ok arrow can be 30 yards.
Del

willie:
the minwax hardener I used on a different project was mostly thinner and made for brush applicaton, a nasty solvent thinner. Would a resin made for vac impreg be better?

--- Quote ---Wood that has been modified with impregnation resins can be used for structures requiring enhanced dimensional strength
--- End quote ---
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impregnation_resin

Digital Caveman:
Ok, I thought this meant a vacuum inside an arrow.

bownarra:
Del look up videos on stabalizing wood. The resins for vacuum use are different to the Minwax stuff. They are drawn into the woods pores after the air has been sucked out under vacuum(submerged under the resin). Normal air pressure is then alowed back into the chamber and it is then, under air pressure, that the fliud is drawn into the pores. 
I've got a bit of experience with the process. Unfortunately it wouldn't be of any benefit to flight arrows. As Pat says all it will do is add weight without increasing stiffness.

Del the cat:

--- Quote from: bownarra on October 02, 2020, 03:43:30 pm ---Del look up videos on stabalizing wood. The resins for vacuum use are different to the Minwax stuff. They are drawn into the woods pores after the air has been sucked out under vacuum(submerged under the resin). Normal air pressure is then alowed back into the chamber and it is then, under air pressure, that the fliud is drawn into the pores. 
I've got a bit of experience with the process. Unfortunately it wouldn't be of any benefit to flight arrows. As Pat says all it will do is add weight without increasing stiffness.

--- End quote ---
Ok, ta ... I'll have to find something else to do with my pump then   ::) :)
Del

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version