Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Virtual Mass revisited

<< < (14/17) > >>

sleek:

--- Quote from: willie on September 30, 2020, 06:15:59 pm ---
--- Quote from: sleek on September 30, 2020, 05:54:47 pm --- I doubt its that simple, and im certain its going to take a lot of experimentation to find what arrow works best, why, and how to duplicate that across a spectrum of arrow weighta/spines/draw lengths.

--- End quote ---

How about trying to see the limbs in action with some sort of way to "record" an arrow release?

--- End quote ---

I want to go to a college with a high speed camera and do some recording with different weight arrows to see how they affect the harmonics of the bows limb.

willie:
Tuomo did a lot of work with HS photography, maybe he can comment if something as subtle as a wave in a returning limb is  something he has seen, or could be detected with photography.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmVczwYUfq6sQQjCmKd2q5Q/videos

sleek:
Maybe if I make the bow large enough, like, ridiculous proportions,  the wave would be large enough and slow enough to see easily.

Badger:

--- Quote from: sleek on September 30, 2020, 07:50:15 pm ---Maybe if I make the bow large enough, like, ridiculous proportions,  the wave would be large enough and slow enough to see easily.

--- End quote ---

I don't thin a very efficient bow would have much of a wave. It is usually just refereed to as vibration but I think of it more as dis torsion. Unless you are talking about a wave that occurs during the power stroke before the arrow has left the bow. I estimated DC's stored energy at 55# more of a guess than an estimate. But based on that he only has about 125 grains of virtual mass which is almost nothing. Extremely efficient bow.

willie:

--- Quote from: Badger on September 30, 2020, 09:51:14 pm --- Unless you are talking about a wave that occurs during the power stroke before the arrow has left the bow. I estimated DC's stored energy at 55# more of a guess than an estimate. But based on that he only has about 125 grains of virtual mass which is almost nothing. Extremely efficient bow.
--- End quote ---

It is my understanding Kevin is proposing a "wave" during the powerstroke, but an investigation might detect it as a vibration or low frequency sound. Sonar is just a reflected sound wave, and you would be surprised what can be learned from looking at the returned "picture". It is not at all a pic that looks anything like the real thing, but can be quite useful if interpreted correctly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version