Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Virtual Mass revisited

<< < (13/17) > >>

DC:
Up until now I have just used two carbons with a variety of tip weights and it's worked just fine. I just ignored the spine. Now I've got this one arrow that seems faster for some reason and it's opened a can of worms. I did try scraping the middle to lower the spine but it did affect the weight enough to make me doubt whether it was the weight or the spine that was making the improvement. I wasn't expecting that. It may be the Tiger arrows. They are heat treated I believe and maybe that makes them less responsive to scraping. I dunno. Anyway the shooting machine is all packed in the trailer for the Gathering so it's all stop for a few days. I'll be making a good old knotty yew self bow. It will be nice not to think about speed for a few days. :D

willie:

--- Quote from: avcase on September 29, 2020, 11:43:19 pm ---the virtual mass may increase with less arrow weight and then reverse and start decreasing, or sometimes it is the other way around.
Alan
--- End quote ---

Alan, would you be willing to speculate or comment about any limb designs features that may affect these harmonics? or how one could "tune" their design to a particular weight arrow?  This goes a bit beyond making tips lighter  or stiffer I presume.

DC:
When you think about it all you can do is leave wood on or take it off. The question is where?
Oh, I guess you can prebend it or not.

sleek:

--- Quote from: willie on September 30, 2020, 02:19:11 pm ---
--- Quote from: avcase on September 29, 2020, 11:43:19 pm ---the virtual mass may increase with less arrow weight and then reverse and start decreasing, or sometimes it is the other way around.
Alan
--- End quote ---

Alan, would you be willing to speculate or comment about any limb designs features that may affect these harmonics? or how one could "tune" their design to a particular weight arrow?  This goes a bit beyond making tips lighter  or stiffer I presume.

--- End quote ---

I know 6ou weren't asking me, but as far as I've got so far in my wave theory is that the wave exists and the best flying arrow weight needs to be found for the bow, I haven't figured a way to tune the bow to the arrow yet, though I'd imagine it has to do with bow length or working limb length as it  applies to wave length. I doubt its that simple, and im certain its going to take a lot of experimentation to find what arrow works best, why, and how to duplicate that across a spectrum of arrow weighta/spines/draw lengths.

willie:

--- Quote from: sleek on September 30, 2020, 05:54:47 pm --- I doubt its that simple, and im certain its going to take a lot of experimentation to find what arrow works best, why, and how to duplicate that across a spectrum of arrow weighta/spines/draw lengths.

--- End quote ---

How about trying to see the limbs in action with some sort of way to "record" an arrow release?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version