Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Virtual Mass revisited

<< < (12/17) > >>

DC:
I've got chores to do so it's going on the back seat. It's the Vancouver Island Wooden Bow Makers Gathering this weekend. Got to get the trailer(RV) ready ;D

sleek:

--- Quote from: DC on September 29, 2020, 02:04:02 pm ---I've got chores to do so it's going on the back seat. It's the Vancouver Island Wooden Bow Makers Gathering this weekend. Got to get the trailer(RV) ready ;D

--- End quote ---

Have fun man! Thats awesome yall have an event, lots of folks dont. Im prepping to go out of state on a big hunt with my son for his first hunt. He has made his bow for this specific hunt. Going on an 8,000 acre ranch for trophy bucks. Otherwise I'd try to do the testing myself. When I get back, I will build a shooting machine. to do some testing also. I do appreciate your willingness to do all these experiments. Your dedication to precision and testing is invaluable.

willie:

--- Quote ---I guess that spot in the bag got a little soft :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
--- End quote ---
Damn.  the door looks pretty good otherwise. though.

are you shooting with one of your best bows? It could be there is not much hystersis to detect :)

maybe test some really light arrows, and then repeat the test with an otherwise similar bow, but is doggy with set, when you have a chance.  I will try to plot any data you generate on a graph this evening to see if we can "see" any hysteresis.

avcase:

--- Quote from: sleek on September 29, 2020, 12:36:54 pm ---Consider that the weight of the arrow allows the harmonics ( wave theory ) of the bow to be maximized.  That weight arrow 548 grain, allows the return wave of the bow limbs to perfectly sync up, delivering the most efficient energy flow possible.

In support of this consider an off balance tire. It will vibrate worse up to a certain speed and then smooths out to be unnoticeable at a specific rpm, then as you pass that rpm range you get bad vibrations again. All these other arrows don't allow your bow to be in its proper vibration range. But the one heavily arrow puts it right there, picking up ALL the bows energy.

I know its just a theory of mine, but it explains a lot, and has worked for me in getting good performance from my bows. Also, there is usually 2 ranges that fall 180° ( i think ) from eachother that allow good performance.  You may find another arrow weight that also joggles the graph, either by more or less, but i dont think the same amount as this arrow.

--- End quote ---

This is an very good analogy and very true. You will see this if you very carefully test a bow over a wide range of arrow weights.  In a plot of virtual mass versus arrow weight, the virtual mass may increase with less arrow weight and then reverse and start decreasing, or sometimes it is the other way around.

Alan

bownarra:
Waves involve the transport of energy without the transport of matter. In conclusion, a wave can be described as a disturbance that travels through a medium, transporting energy from one location (its source) to another location without transporting matter.

:)

DC just make some selfnocked test arrows. You can fine tune the weight quite a bit without affecting spine.  You can also get sticky backed lead strips. Airgun pellets are another way to alter weigh easily. Use screw on field points and drop the melted lead in the head (soften spine + add weight). Sanding just the middle will reduce spine without affecting weight much. Stiffen an arrow whilst reducing weight - sand both ends, don't touch the middle.
Many ways to play about with arrow dynamics.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version