Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Virtual Mass revisited

<< < (6/17) > >>

willie:
Mike,
I brought this discussion on virtual mass to a dedicated post, because we were getting off track in    http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,68878.0.html
over there, Badger commented....

--- Quote ---A glass bow has very little hysteresis so once the virtual mass is established it will remain fairly constant regardless of arrow weight even though efficiency will continue to drop with arrow weight. A wood bow that has taken set will display more hysteresis and because set is time sensitive it increases rapidly as arrow weights go down.
--- End quote ---

Calculating Virtual Mass does seem useful when hysteresis is constant, and was useful for comparing different glass limb designs when Norb Mulaney made his contributions to the industry, but how useful is calculating VM for natural materiel bows if we need to tease the different losses apart to make improvements?

I think we have learned (or relearned) a lot about limb geometry since klopsteg introduced the VM concept , so our challenge is to use VM or something like it, to learn more about hysteresis.

DC:
I'm trying, I'm really trying but I just seemed to get bogged down. I can't see the direction this is taking me. I know it all works because otherwise you guys wouldn't use it. How about if I was to take a bunch of measurements could someone do whatever it is that you do and tell me a bunch of stuff about my bow? Maybe then I could see what we're trying to do. I'm just taking the last scrapes on a bow so I could use that one. Don't be afraid of saying no :D

sleek:

--- Quote from: bownarra on September 28, 2020, 12:26:20 am ---By the way guys - what exactly is it you are trying to work out?

--- End quote ---

I WAS WRONG IN THE STATEMENT BELOW, BUT AM LEAVING IT BECAUSE IT WAS REFERENCED IN OTHER REPLIES. sorry for yelling :)

Exactly how much wood is required to make a bow. Or more specifically, how little we can get away with.

Badger:

--- Quote from: sleek on September 28, 2020, 12:09:59 pm ---
--- Quote from: bownarra on September 28, 2020, 12:26:20 am ---By the way guys - what exactly is it you are trying to work out?

--- End quote ---

Exactly how much wood is required to make a bow. Or more specifically, how little we can get away with.

--- End quote ---

Virtual mass has very little relation to actual mass

willie:

--- Quote ---Virtual mass has very little relation to actual mass
--- End quote ---

I think kevin has a good point, Steve. My guess is that you are pointing out that arrow mass, or the virtual arrow mass,  is not directly comparable to bow mass, as in grains and ounces.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version