Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Strip bamboo arrows

<< < (2/8) > >>

avcase:
I double-tapered the strips so it would form a barreled arrow.  Tonkin cane has a higher elastic Modulus or stiffness than any wood, so it should theoretically be possible to make a same-stiffness arrow that is slightly less diameter than a wood arrow.  The downside is that it requires precise work in order to get the wall thickness just right.  If the strips are too thick the arrow will be too heavy, or have to be made so thin that it is no longer stiff enough. In recent years, I have seen arrows made from some exceptional Douglas fir that is just about as good and a lot easier to make. The hard part is finding these super boards.

Alan

JW_Halverson:

--- Quote from: Del the cat on September 22, 2020, 11:53:44 am ---Ah, you leave out the hole. The hole is very floppy, unless you can get special stiff holes, but they are hell's own job to fit  ;)
Del

--- End quote ---

I still have those used holes for sale from when I bought that dry oil well in North Dakota and pulled the hole out of the ground. The holes are cut in 36" lengths but are 6 inches in diameter. I suppose one could pare them down.  Or they could be cut in triangular cross section pieces and glued up into "hex-holes" to make stiffer holes.

>:D

P.S. the shipping is nothing because the holes have no weight!

DC:

--- Quote from: avcase on September 22, 2020, 04:20:08 pm ---I double-tapered the strips so it would form a barreled arrow.  Tonkin cane has a higher elastic Modulus or stiffness than any wood, so it should theoretically be possible to make a same-stiffness arrow that is slightly less diameter than a wood arrow.  The downside is that it requires precise work in order to get the wall thickness just right.  If the strips are too thick the arrow will be too heavy, or have to be made so thin that it is no longer stiff enough. In recent years, I have seen arrows made from some exceptional Douglas fir that is just about as good and a lot easier to make. The hard part is finding these super boards.

Alan

--- End quote ---

There's lots of old growth Doug Fir around here. Maybe I'll look around an old logging show for some chunks.

bownarra:
I've made quite a few of these arrows and they are amazing :) Thanks so much for the build-a-long on Paloeplanet Alan.

willie:

--- Quote ---There's lots of old growth Doug Fir around here. Maybe I'll look around an old logging show for some chunks.
--- End quote ---
one quality to consider is a stiffness to density ratio of the wood. it varies quite a bit. not all fine ringed doug fir is the same. something I tried to make sense about in a thread a few threads back.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version