Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Strip bamboo arrows

<< < (5/8) > >>

willie:

--- Quote ---it got me thinking. Has anyone made a "split cane" type arrow out of, pick a wood, and compared it with the same wood in it's natural state
--- End quote ---

wayne at trueshafts on haida gwaii bought hexshafts process and thinks regluing makes it stiffer.

DC:
 I tried gluing just 1/16"x 3/8" flat lams together once and then made an arrow of it. I don't think I was impressed because I never made any more. But it was a while ago.

DC:
Here's the stuff I used. My plank saw, Made of a grinder and a piece of 1 1/2x3" aluminum channel. The 60° jig made out of scraps from under the bandsaw. My arrow lathe/feather burner made from an old sewing machine. I had to turn an idler pulley to drop the speed. And my prototype glued up old growth Western Hemlock arrow.

willie:

--- Quote from: DC on September 26, 2020, 03:22:01 pm --- I tried gluing just 1/16"x 3/8" flat lams together once and then made an arrow of it. I don't think I was impressed because I never made any more. But it was a while ago.

--- End quote ---

I suspect resawing the 6 sections to take best advantage of grain orientation has something to do with increasing stiffness. Nice table saw!

DC:
That's something I never thought of. What direction would you put the grain. Maybe with the growth rings radiating out from the center? If you had primo glue joints that would confuse the troops, edge grain all the way around the arrow ::) ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version