Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

how quick does a winning shot settle into smooth flight?

<< < (2/4) > >>

avcase:
There can be two things happening with the arrow at release. There may be some arrow vibration which takes awhile to settle down, and there may be some initial arrow misalignment which is a tuning issue that takes awhile to settle down.  Of course, both are going to have negative impact on maintaining downrange speed. 

Correction of arrow misalignment:
Some arrows will correct for this much quicker than others. The higher the aerodynamic stability, the quicker the arrow will realign itself to its direction of travel. So things like bigger fletching and fletching moved as close to the nock as possible should help. More arrow mass toward the front will help.

The distribution of mass will affect how quickly the arrow responds to correction from the fletches. Mass concentrated at either end of the arrow will slow down the response of the arrow. So a light point and light nock allow the arrow to quickly react and realign itself. This contradicts some of the advantage of having more weight concentrated in the point.

Little or no arrow spin should help the arrow realign itself quicker.

Correction of vibration:
Long and flexible will have more disruptive lower amplitude vibration than Short and stiff arrows. Some materials dampen vibration better than others. I believe uneven mass distribution from barrel-shape arrow should quiet down quicker than a straight shaft. Spin rate may be a factor.

I don’t know if this helps.

Alan

DC:
How about center shot? Given a well tuned arrow on both does a center shot bow have an advantage?

avcase:

--- Quote from: DC on September 15, 2020, 06:55:32 pm ---How about center shot? Given a well tuned arrow on both does a center shot bow have an advantage?

--- End quote ---

Yes, center shot has an advantage if the arrows are very stiff, short, and shot with a release. Finger release is Where it gets complicated.

Some horn bow flight archers are rediscovering the techniques to shoot some very light spine arrows cleanly out of heavy bows by shooting off the opposite side while imparting a torque to the bow handle. This would have to be perfectly executed in order to counteract the usual big arrow deflection of a finger release.

Alan

willie:

--- Quote ---I don’t know if this helps.
--- End quote ---
Alan, yes, it helps define the issues that need to be considered.

Do you think a 10% velocity loss in the first 50 yards would knock a shot out of the competition?

Badger:

--- Quote from: willie on September 15, 2020, 08:13:06 pm ---
--- Quote ---I don’t know if this helps.
--- End quote ---
Alan, yes, it helps define the issues that need to be considered.

Do you think a 10% velocity loss in the first 50 yards would knock a shot out of the competition?

--- End quote ---

I would think that 10% would be excellent

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version