Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

how quick does a winning shot settle into smooth flight?

<< < (3/4) > >>

DC:
I was doing some testing the other day. As I've said before with my shooting machine the same bow/arrow combo will put the arrow in the same hole just about every time. But this day I was testing two bows of comparable DW so I was using the same arrow. The second bow would also put the arrow in the same hole every time but it was a different hole. One bow would shoot consistently 3" to the right. My machine holds the bows horizontally so to the right is actually up. Do you think this would be a nock point thing? Is nock point the only thing that affects the up/ down flight. My arrows only fly about 8' so 3" is considerable.

willie:
3" seems like a lot if the target is only 8 feet away.
maybe there is a way to tell how straight the arrow is leaving the bow     
I recall you had problems breaking arrows at one time
do you have any rests you could compare to shooting off the shelf?

DC:
I'm thinking it may be the way the bow sits in the saddle. I've never been happy with my saddle. Because there is no "finger friction" the string can slide a bit on the release so sometimes I notice the bow torqueing. Maybe one limb is too strong. Most of these bows don't have the nock point tied in. I should set a nock point in the vice and then make sure the bow is staying in position.

willie:

--- Quote --- Most of these bows don't have the nock point tied in
--- End quote ---

string nocks for either side of the arrow nock seem important

--- Quote --- I should set a nock point in the vice and then make sure the bow is staying in position
--- End quote ---

why the vice and not the shelf of the bow?

so just curious, I cannot recall what you changed to keep from breaking arrows?

DC:
I meant set the bow in the vice and use a string square to tie some nock, sorry.

I just hung the target bag so it's free to swing. That seemed to solve it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version