Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

how quick does a winning shot settle into smooth flight?

(1/4) > >>

willie:
I realize this is an open ended kind of question, but please bear with me for a moment.
I have heard it said a winning shot needs a clean release. logically, the sooner the arrow stabilizes, the better chance it has to retain velocity for a longer flight. 

Can anyone venture an opinion about how far off the bow this needs to happen? My thought is to test some arrows at a limited distance. I realize there are arrow flight qualities that need to be considered at the apex of the flight  (minimum velocity?), but that is not what I wish to examine in these tests. 
theres lots to learn about spine, release and fletching that I think can be learned at closer ranges.
thanks
(I know, the sooner the better is best of course. but I am hoping to quantify things a bit)

sleek:
Honestly it's my understanding that the arrow needs to leave the bow clean, meaning, no stabilization is needed, because it leaves the bow stable. If it requires stabilization through flight, the act if stabilization bleeds energy from the arrow and it looses speed. Foot bows I have seen have paper at the end of it the arrow shoots through to determine if it left the bow clean or not.

medicinewheel:
A winning shot leaves the bow in smooth flight.

DC:
I saw a picture of Alans foot bow and it has a paper thing mounted about 2-3" from the back of the bow. There was also a picture of a nice clean hole in the paper but I can't fund that.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMnOPN2hyhCRcR9ewoopRwkHRR8J2C5haJ3HRgA10LD81_rrtHhNBWy5ZBx_pgSFw/photo/AF1QipO8B_1guYHJFMhV-4g-BQkfGd3OIh1v9tqMJelm?key=dWR3SEFDRi1IcEhjTGFETjBuNlBmX05keXFidzB3

willie:

--- Quote ---Honestly it's my understanding that the arrow needs to leave the bow clean,
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Honestly it's my understanding that the arrow needs to leave the bow clean,
--- End quote ---

Yes of course, as clean as possible. But arrows still flex/paradox, and there must be a tradeoff between skinny and how much flexing can be tolerated.

Part of this set up will be useful to practice good releases. I hope to not only test the speed of the arrow in front of the bow, but also down range.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version