Author Topic: Hickory self bow growth rings  (Read 1944 times)

Offline Blake bridges

Hickory self bow growth rings
« on: September 09, 2020, 10:11:46 pm »
I violated the back of my hickory stave .what do I do ? I can't seem to chase a ring they are to tight

Offline willie

Re: Hickory self bow growth rings
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 10:22:15 pm »
how many rings per inch is "tight"? how many rings did you violate?

Offline Blake bridges

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 10:23:51 pm »
I think I violated 3 or 4 but there is quite a few in an inch maybe 7 I can't really see them

Offline Blake bridges

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 10:29:26 pm »
Do I need to back it now or will sanding it smooth be ok . I've seen a video of a board bow without backing

Offline willie

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 10:30:05 pm »
hickory can be more forgiving than some other woods, just the same, why do you feel you cannot chase a ring, have you been trying already and violated the back ring in other places?

Offline willie

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 10:43:00 pm »
there are some restrictions on the first few posts to prevent spam, but it gets easier. post a pic of the damage and the end grain.  you should be able to follow a ring. hickory is not the easiest to see the rings, is it green or dried?

bownarra

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 01:30:35 am »
You need to chase a ring full length of your bow.
To help get a good light source and some cheap dye.
The light is key but adding a rub or two of dye around the area you are working will make the rings jumps right out at you.
Tools - you need a very sharp cabinet scraper and 60/80 grit sandpaper.
Post pics and people will help you get a ring chased - it really isn't hard when you get the knack. 7 rpi isn't going to make it impossible. :)

Offline Mafort

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 03:56:14 am »
I have a hickory longbow that’s violated on the back and it’s long and wide so there’s A minimal chance of breaking. I really just made it to see how long it would last and it’s been shooting for a year now... hickory is so tension strong it’s able to stand a few violations. Would I recommend it? No it’s always good to have as much of a single ring on the back As possible. However if the design is long and wide it should be ok.

Offline bambule

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2020, 12:21:34 pm »
I`ve build over 100 Bows out of Hickoryboards and to be honest most of them had violated rings on the back. None of them broke on the back and they were heavily heat treated and up to 3" reflex all about ~ 50#. I never had a problem with Hickory and violated rings.

Cheers,
Cord
Niedersachsen, Germany

Offline scp

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2020, 01:01:57 pm »
Actually de-crowned hickory flat bows might even shoot better than crowned or ring followed bows. Just make sure the top grain lines go all the way almost to tips.

Offline bassman

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2020, 04:19:04 am »
If you haven,t sinew backed a bow now is the time.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2020, 10:45:41 pm »
A lot of hickory I have used has wavy grain on the back. need a knife with a round blade to chase a ring. look at the rings at the ends of the stave and it will tell you.