Author Topic: Arrow speed performance calculation  (Read 2250 times)

Offline AndyTurner

Re: Arrow speed performance calculation
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2020, 05:15:36 am »
Hi Del. I’ve just found time to read the post with graph in.
“Good Job Sir!” - that was a really interesting and informative experiment. Well done you! 😎

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2020, 10:23:23 am »
nice shooting on your flight shoot,, congrats

Offline HH~

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2020, 11:18:37 am »
They had a deer killed hear with a 12lb bow at 10 feet.

110 be enough at close range with a heavy arrow. The only if is: whitetails down south are not whitetails of Maine or Kansas in size.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2020, 11:35:48 am »
Thanks HH

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2020, 03:06:37 pm »
DC - remember mass belongs to the arrow. It never decreases. So a 600 grain arrow is always 600 grains. A 1000 grain arrow is always 1000 grains. Velocity decreases as soon as it leaves the bow - and it decreases quite rapidly when it hits somethings. Remember momentum is Mass x velocity. If you have the same momentum - a heavier arrow going slower and a lighter arrow going faster - the heavier arrow will always penetrate better because it does not shed mass. It does shed velocity. So if the mass of the arrow makes up the bigger portion of your momentum equation it will retain more momentum when it hits something... .. I hope that makes sense. Basically, so long as a deer doesn’t jump the string a really heavy slow arrow will do as much if not more penetrating as a faster lighter one - from a given “power” bow...

Offline StickMark

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2020, 07:29:16 pm »
DC, if the crummy bow is like my 43 # bow I built 8 yrs ago getting into this, I agree w Brad, in that on unsuspecting deer, it'll work.
Shot a small coues deer after waiting the two deer out for 30, 45 minutes. At 12 yards, that 550 grain arrow took enough time to allow the deer to go from broadside to taking the arrow in guts, through liver, a lung and stopping above heart. Great penetration, slow arrow.
    This year, shot. Mule deer. Thought I missed. But, sitting in blind days later, and doing some later CSI, surmised that buck dodged. 20 yards. I should have waited, dumb Stickmark :( . (That was a great flat Sawn red oak bow but not trapped, so it failed cause of knot I sinewed caused chrysal down lower limb. Another "dead bow", and another "I am an idiot" t- shirt).
   I admire your work. You actually build 40#ers I would hunt with.

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2020, 07:42:11 pm »
Thank you. :D