Author Topic: Hardware store bow strings?  (Read 3578 times)

Offline shooter123

• UK
Hardware store bow strings?
« on: September 05, 2020, 05:05:08 pm »
Hi, new here so sorry if this is in the wrong place.

What sort of hardware/sports store ropes and cords are ok for these homemade bows? I've tried a few different types from what I've found in my garage and the only one which hasn't snapped instantly stretches out after a while, but eventually snaps when the middle gets too thin from stretching (after a few hundred shots probably). It being braided probably doesn't help, for some reason making a serving and tying a nocking point sped up the demise and I assume it's down to it being braided and compressing.

Is there anything I can use from hardware/sporting stores for a string? My homemade bow isn't very high poundage, probably in the same ballpark as those kiddy bow types, it's like a short longbow if that makes sense. I've seen real strings on ebay but I'm not sure which one to buy, at least with hardware store ropes I can cut it to the exact size for this homemade contraption.

Is there a material, diameter and max load capacity I should be looking for? I'm guessing braided should be avoided.

Polypropylene, Polyethylene, jute, sisal seems to be a common material on the local store websites but I'm not sure which is best. I'm not really far enough into the hobby to invest in actual string making equipment and materials (yet), just having fun in the garden with this right now.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 06:18:52 pm by shooter123 »
Nock... Mark... Draw... Loose!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Store bow strings?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 05:35:12 pm »
Buy a spool of B-50 bow string material and make your own strings.It's not hard to do and there is plenty of info either here or on YouTube. You may be able to trade someone on here for a partial spool. Trade only on PA, no money.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 05:58:43 pm »
Get some  fishing line like Spider wire or Power pro etc.   It's the same stuff as good bowstring and readily available.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 09:57:49 pm »
Not much money required for hardware, a board and some nails for a jig, unless you want to get fancy! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 12:10:50 am »
Just look on youtube for reverse twisted flemish bowstring.

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 09:46:51 am »
Yes and no jig needed. I just make my strands about 3 feet longer then my bow is and use a bowyers knot. Il make the second loop after i found the right braceheight

Offline Woody roberts

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 12:52:27 pm »
I keep a 1,000’ roll of artificial sinew on hand for leather work. 6 strands twisted and beeswaxed together is what I use as my tillering string. I serve it with one wrap of sinew and it fits my nocks perfect. I use a bowline hitch on each end may shoot the bow with this until I get a string.

Ive been buying my strings from Shatterproof Archery and their good strings but I can’t tell their any better than my homemade ones. They will probably last longer.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 01:33:53 pm »
I think there is two kinds of artificial sinew. One is nylon and stretches a lot. The other is polyester and I don't think it's as bad. Someone else could chime in on this.

Offline Woody roberts

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 02:33:28 pm »
What I have has no stretch that I can see.

Offline shooter123

• UK
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2020, 05:51:25 pm »
Oh thanks everyone, if I were to buy some b-50 stuff would I also need serving material and other things? Looking online it appears the fishing line is more expensive than a spool of b-50 (I live in the UK). I tried some garden store Sisal twine but it snapped instantly when strung and also Polypropylene Twine but that started breaking at the nocking point very quickly.

What about those cheap ready made strings on ebay, I need a string just under 64 inches end to end to get a 6 inch brace height, but if its too short or long for my bow is there a way you can adjust them? I know bow strings are quoted for the bow length but my bow isn't a "real" bow so things designed to a standard will probably not match up with it.
Nock... Mark... Draw... Loose!

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Hardware store bow strings?
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2020, 09:37:54 pm »
you can make a string longer than needed,, loop on one end,, tie timber hitch on other to right length,, it can be adjusted for different bows,,,

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2020, 09:49:48 pm »
What I have has no stretch that I can see.

That would be the polyester type.  That form of artificial sinew is underrated as a string source. 

bownarra

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2020, 02:08:42 am »
Oh thanks everyone, if I were to buy some b-50 stuff would I also need serving material and other things? Looking online it appears the fishing line is more expensive than a spool of b-50 (I live in the UK). I tried some garden store Sisal twine but it snapped instantly when strung and also Polypropylene Twine but that started breaking at the nocking point very quickly.

What about those cheap ready made strings on ebay, I need a string just under 64 inches end to end to get a 6 inch brace height, but if its too short or long for my bow is there a way you can adjust them? I know bow strings are quoted for the bow length but my bow isn't a "real" bow so things designed to a standard will probably not match up with it.

Send me a PM with your bow details. Length, draw weight, where you live etc and i'll send you one :) I'm in England. Stay away from the ebay stuff, much cheaper to make your own.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2020, 02:40:13 am »
Hi Shooter. I'm in the UK... I can let you have some B55 (same as B50 but a tad thinner)
I bought it for a horn bow, which needs a softer string, I use fastflit on my normal bows. So I have a load of it that I won't use.
I'll PM you, or you just PM me with your address.
Del
BTW check out my "bowyers Diary" of info on just about everything!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 05:05:03 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2020, 11:07:42 am »
I buy 500yard spools of 80lb braided fishing line for $20. Makes a lot of a strings and is near zero stretch besides the stretch of the twists.