Author Topic: Bow Log Book?  (Read 2591 times)

Offline mmattockx

Bow Log Book?
« on: September 04, 2020, 05:12:16 pm »
Does anybody keep a log book of the bows they have made? Or perhaps other record keeping methods? I'm looking for ideas on how to organize the record keeping and the kind of things people have thought is important to track.

Thanks,
Mark

Offline DC

Re: Bow Log Book?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 06:37:49 pm »
I always thought it would be a good idea but I could never figure out what to record. I was always afraid that 5 years down the road I would realise that I'd been recording the wrong stuff. Oh and I really suck at keeping records.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 07:53:37 pm »
After 30 years of making bows I regret not keeping records. It is a good idea. If  were to do it now I would do it on a spreadsheet. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Kidder

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 08:13:25 pm »
It’s funny - I’m new to bow building and was just thinking of this. I imagine that if I carry on with this venture, in 20 years I could have some really invaluable information stored in a logbook - I might not be able to necessarily interpret it all but I’m sure someone could. I’m thinking of including the following:
Wood identification (species, board or stave, location where obtained, how seasoned, rpi etc)
Design: (profile, length, width, recurves, shelf, draw weight, draw length, tiller profile, Backing, finish etc)
Noted flaws: (imperfect tiller, knots, ring violations, Limb twist etc)
Early Shooting: (initial string follow, speed, Hand shock, etc)
Later shooting: (string follow, damage, failures, etc)
Probably have to identify each bow with either a name or serial number or something. It’s be nice to be able to look at good bows and be able to recreate them from a numbers/profile perspective and maybe something could be gleaned from failures in terms of identifying a common issue not immediately apparent. Those are my thoughts.

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2020, 10:41:18 pm »
Never even crossed my mind.

bownarra

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 01:15:40 am »
My logbook is in my head :)

Online Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2020, 01:27:01 am »
That's what my "Bowyers Diary" is :)
It just happens to be online... the great thing is I can put my pics and links to vids on there. The built in search engine is handy too.
It's interesting to look back over it, over 10 years now!
Not every bow is covered, but most of them, and the interesting ones.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2020, 08:35:25 am »
yes I do it, have stats from 25 years ago,, its nice to go back a reference,, and remember what bows did what,,

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2020, 09:25:52 am »
I have kept one for 25 years, your bows may change hands a few times. Someone will call you wanting to know about a bow with your name on it, a quick look in the log book with the stats and you can find out more about the bow in question.

Here is an entry from my log;

#140, July 2012
"A guy sent me some wool clothing for free, later he wanted to buy one of my bows. To return the favor I sent him a bow for free. Nice bow, 65", R/H, osage, split finger tillering, made from sister billets. Frank Schutte"
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 09:35:00 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2020, 11:49:31 am »
Some of them.  I have been saving the web pages on the bows I posted on PA going back to early 2000
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2020, 12:33:13 pm »
alot of times when I give advice on a bow design or draw length etc,, I can go back and tell you what kind of performance I was getting from different designs ,, or if I piked a bow 10 years ago,, what weight increase i got and if the cast was improved or not,, etc etc,,also what things I did that failed,,,

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2020, 08:27:56 pm »
Mine is more simple. 67” right hand Osage , pyramid , 26 oz 50@ 28 , then serial # I am at  I think about 275 then the date 320 March and Of twenty . So 275320. That’s about it. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2020, 10:11:02 pm »
I guess I need to find me a logbook or journal!  I can fill page one, and make a entry on page 2 with a ? mark (lol)!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Fox

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2020, 11:02:50 pm »
I guess I need to find me a logbook or journal!  I can fill page one, and make a entry on page 2 with a ? mark (lol)!
Hawkdancer

+1  (lol)
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2020, 02:26:40 am »
Width, thickness, tapers, style, performance amount of set, draw weight and wood-type are what I log, so if I change anything I can get a comparison