Author Topic: Bandsaw question  (Read 4457 times)

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
Bandsaw question
« on: September 04, 2020, 12:42:04 pm »
I’m think I’m starting to get too old to do it all with hand tools.  Thinking about getting a Grizzly bandsaw, based on recommendations I’ve seen here.  There’s a used G0555X for sale nearby.  It appears to be in good shape, and he’s asking $525.  It’s 1-1/2 HP, 13-1/2”, with some blades.  Is this a decent price?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Bandsaw question
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 12:58:09 pm »
What's the price for a new one (or it's equivalent?).
My one was certainly one of by best investments, it's not the biggest, but I don't have much room  :(
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 01:43:31 pm »
What's the price for a new one (or it's equivalent?).
My one was certainly one of by best investments, it's not the biggest, but I don't have much room  :(
Del
It’s out of production, but I found a 2011 price for a new one at $820.

Offline Will B

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 02:33:36 pm »
Tom that doesn’t sound too bad if it’s in real good shape. I have the 1H.P. GO 555 13-1/2” bandsaw and it is really nice for roughing out bow blanks and reducing staves with a 3/4” blade. The new Grizzly catalog has my saw (1H.P.) listed for $625 plus ~$100 to ship it from Grizzly. You will appreciate having one. Good luck
Will

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2020, 02:34:13 pm »
That makes it sound pretty good... supplementary question for a bonus point:-  ;D
Are spares readily available?
Del
(PS Go for it, you know ya want to... we won't tell honest ;) )
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2020, 08:09:10 pm »
It's been a maxim for decades that an item in good useable condition is worth 1/2 the new price. So, no that's not  a good price, especially when people are out of work and short of cash.

Further, if you are a little bit patient you can find a used American brand such as Delta or Craftsman band saw on craigslist for much less and it will have no plastic parts and will have ASAE fasteners.

Visit and join owwm.org to learn the possibilities. (Just don't ask them what a machine is worth--against the rules.)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 08:44:44 am by Jim Davis »
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2020, 08:47:25 pm »
Grizzly makes a great bandsaw.   I've heard they have good customer service if you ever need it.  I've had mine for several years now.  I resawed oak boards for 4.5 hours straight one time.  I would see if they would take less for it.  Maybe go look at it and throw out an offer.  Cash talks.  Good luck.  Post some pictures if you get it. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2020, 07:12:24 am »
Thanks for the update bouts, guys.  So the consensus is “maybe.”  I think I’ll take a look at it and try to bargain a little.  If it looks as good as the pics, I’ll probably snag it.
...Tom

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2020, 08:59:50 am »
Lots of youtube videos about this saw, looks like a good one to me, perhaps a little overpriced as a used one. Grizzly will always have parts even for a saw no longer in production, they change the name but use a lot of the same internal parts.

I have a similar Griz but a different model, it is a good one.

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2020, 09:23:03 am »
I tried looking on Facebook, Craigs etc a while back. If a bandsaw showed up it was gone in an hour or less. As a result there was high prices and no bargaining. Must be a local thing. People around here think anything old is an antique. Drawknifes are never seen cheap or even reasonable.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2020, 12:13:54 pm »
If it is in good shape, not too bad a price depending on how many extra blades go with it - those are not cheap.  You will need a couple buddies to help move it if it doesn't have casters! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline rps3

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2020, 05:32:22 am »
From my experience looking at and buying 4 used bandsaws on craigslist over the years, if that one is in good shape, I would buy it for that price, but try and talk them down a little if I could. I think most sellers expect to come down some off the asking price.

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2020, 07:51:21 am »
Dang it, somebody else got it first.  Back to search mode.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2020, 11:37:28 am »
I have had two different band saws, ,they are depenable machines,, if you get a good one,, will last forever

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2020, 12:39:56 pm »
Dang it, somebody else got it first.  Back to search mode.
That's what happened to me every time I phoned someone. They seem to be a popular item. I finally just settled for what I have.