Author Topic: Compression wood  (Read 2296 times)

Offline willie

Re: Compression wood
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2020, 01:03:14 pm »
I'm wasting my time doing it again when I don't know what I'm looking at ;D

OK, fair enough

Every so often I wonder about different wood I could use for the belly......

combined with what wood for the back?

and what is the bow going to be used for?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 01:13:25 pm by willie »

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2020, 01:18:50 pm »
Bamboo. I tried Hard Maple and it was fine but I was always concerned about the grain. Also all I could get was kiln dried. Don't know if that's an issue or not. And out here in the west it's pricey. I don't know if I've even seen Hickory. All the tool handles seem to be Ash or some mystery wood from the South or East. So I've settled on Boo although it seems to have almost doubled in price in the last 2-3 years. Politics I think.

This was not a question about a particular bow. I've run out of Yew and was just exploring possibilities. I was curious whether or not any native woods may have decent compression. None that I can find info on do, except Yew.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 01:57:47 pm by DC »

Offline willie

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2020, 03:29:53 pm »
The published numbers for MOE is the reverse of what you need when making bows, that is to say the lower the number in relation to the wood density is better.

Not necessarily stiff, but dense? I can see this as being an advantage if used with a properly sized an optimum stiffness backing.

which woods come to mind?

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2020, 09:57:20 pm »
We’re talking about compression wood here. That means a backing can be used to demonstrate the best compression woods. Crushing strength should not come inti plat at all here. That is for core woods in composites. Black locust is not a contender. Osage is, but the best compression woods can handle the most amount of bend without taking set. So lighter woods good in compression are best. Yew is great, but I would argue the best are much lighter. Woods with very  low sg around 30-40 with a true backing to take all the compression. Specifically I think incense cedar and juniper are the best compression woods.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2020, 07:48:04 am »
You can compare Osage to Bubinga, I know Bubinga is low in elasticity and will chrysal easily or to Black Locust which has similar density to Osage but a higher MOE, most know that Locust is a bit low in elasticity

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2020, 07:55:39 am »
Snakewood was very highly regarded in the past.  You can still get it but you'll pay dearly for it.

Tulipwood (the rosewood variety)seems to have good properties as well but it's also hard to get in bow lengths.

Lilac may be one to look for too.