Author Topic: Twisted stave  (Read 889 times)

Offline dom

Twisted stave
« on: August 29, 2020, 06:58:34 am »
Hello everyone, i am new here but have been reading posts and appreciate everyone’s knowledge and expertise. I have made two primitive bows i am happy with, a 43# pound sinew backed hackberry bow and a 40# pound osage. I have been HUMBLED osage wood. I am not a gifted bowyer, so with that said, i have an osage stave about 68” long and pretty twisted. It has been drying out since May and it has about 3/8” of sapwood on it. My question is can i try and steam out the twist while it is drying out or do i wait til its seasoned, take off the sapwood when there is less mass to the stave. If this question has been tackled before, I apologize. I’ll try an post pics of my primitive bows. All responses are appreciated.

Offline Jakesnyder

Re: Twisted stave
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 07:12:26 am »
I wouldnt steam it if it's still too green. I'd rough it out and try to clamp it to a board. Also osage loves to check bad as its drying

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 07:18:27 am »
As far as i have read you can take off sapwood now but make sure to seal the back verry good.  For straightening its possible now with steam if you clamp it to a straight Beam or board. But also possible with heat gun after it seasoned

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 07:23:38 am »
Welcome Dom.  Like Jake said, remove the sapwood, be sure the back and ends are sealed, reduce the stave to almost bow size(floor tiller stage) and set it aside to dry more. If it is still wet inside clamp it to a form like a 2x4. You can sometimes remove any twist by using wood wedges and clamps in appropriate places to reverse the twists.
 Pics will help us see what going on with your stave and pics will also put in good stead with us because we all love pics.  ;D  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 04:57:44 pm »
It has been my experience that if you correct a green stave it may go back when it dries, unless you have it clamped to something.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 07:13:16 am »
I usually like to chase a ring. If you have enough wood go to heartwood ring. If you don’t you can use a sapwood ring. Seal the back and ends immediately.  Then reduce closer to bow dimensions. Then I usually do some preliminary straightening on caul with dry heat. I don’t get to fussy at this stage, just get the really nasty stuff out. Then I let it sit till it’s cured.

After it’s cured I put it back on my caul and get it better. If I’m gonna recurve the tips I steam them in before I do my straightening. I love Osage for this. It is manipulated with heat very well. Much better than my local woods
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline dom

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 08:35:55 am »
Thank you everyone. It looks like the concensus is to clamp it down. I removed virtually all of the sapwood and clamped it. I’ll finish seasoning it for about 6 months or so and I’ll see what i get.