Author Topic: Deflex reflex questions.  (Read 1896 times)

Offline Mafort

Deflex reflex questions.
« on: August 29, 2020, 06:10:09 am »
So my purpose for this post is to ask a few questions related to a deflex reflex build. I’m making a hickory backed Osage deflex reflex that is 66” long. It’s deflexed about 2.5” and I plan on reflexing it and recurving it in total of 6” after I get the limbs reduced some to make that process easier. My question is how short can I push it? I want it to be hunting weight (meaning anything 40lbs and over).
I’m really looking to doing a super low stack design and I can even change backings with raw linen, rawhide, or sinew if any of those would serve a better purpose. It’s going to an old guy in Trimble county here in kentucky with a shoulder injury. He hasn’t deer hunted in 15 years because of it but He wants to deer hunt with it this year and I gave him one of my older longbows to practice with till I finish this bow. Any guidance and help would be really appreciated.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Deflex reflex questions.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 07:08:57 am »
For what draw length
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Mafort

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 08:15:03 am »
I’m wanting to do 29”

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 11:18:44 am »
Do you mean tips 6" behind the handle? With that much reflex string alignment is key. It has to be almost perfect and very stable. I'm not a hunter but if I was I think I would choose less finicky design.

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 12:09:11 pm »
To go really short you want to follow Adam Karpowzi r/d design. I posted pics of it a while ago but will look them out for you.

Offline Mafort

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 04:06:37 pm »
Do you mean tips 6" behind the handle? With that much reflex string alignment is key. It has to be almost perfect and very stable. I'm not a hunter but if I was I think I would choose less finicky design.

I figure if I factor in the 2.5” of deflex the total net reflex will be around 3.5”. The old guy actually asked for a design like this. And I said I’d try. If I mess it up he can keep my longbow.

To go really short you want to follow Adam Karpowzi r/d design. I posted pics of it a while ago but will look them out for you.

See I was wondering how he made his cause it looks like it would be a sweet shooter

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 04:40:29 pm »

I figure if I factor in the 2.5” of deflex the total net reflex will be around 3.5”. The old guy actually asked for a design like this. And I said I’d try. If I mess it up he can keep my longbow.

OK, that's quite doable.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 05:29:04 pm »
Hickory backed osage can handle the bow you want. Will it be a reflexed or recurved?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mafort

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2020, 11:13:53 pm »
Hickory backed osage can handle the bow you want. Will it be a reflexed or recurved?

A little of both. However that leads me to my next question of how to back it with hickory with the recurves.

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2020, 06:58:18 am »
  A mild soak and steam will allow easy bending of the  hickory backing strip to match the curves.   It only needs to be close in fit and clamping will sort the rest.

Offline Mafort

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2020, 08:14:13 am »
  A mild soak and steam will allow easy bending of the  hickory backing strip to match the curves.   It only needs to be close in fit and clamping will sort the rest.

The hickory backing is only 1/8” thick. So it bends easily. I figured once I wrapped the whole thing with inner tube from a bike tire It’ll conform with the Osage. I wonder if I can do a perry reflex type deal too.... maybe I’ll save that for something else... I’m not sure yet

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2020, 08:28:41 am »
You can do 65" and get a reliable bow.  I personally wouldn't use Hickory though. 

I pre-bend the backing, doesn't have to be perfect, at the recurves using dry-heat, makes things easier
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Mafort

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2020, 09:05:42 am »
You can do 65" and get a reliable bow.  I personally wouldn't use Hickory though. 

I pre-bend the backing, doesn't have to be perfect, at the recurves using dry-heat, makes things easier

What do you recommend? I’ve got 4 twists of raw flax. Rawhide, sinew

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2020, 09:15:05 am »
Why does it need to be backed?  As for how short you can go, id say 59 inches would do it if you get the tiller right.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2020, 09:15:50 am »

I'm interested in seeing what he makes.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others