Author Topic: My second Red Oak self bow complete PICS full draw  (Read 13130 times)

wrightbrigade

My second Red Oak self bow complete PICS full draw
« on: April 28, 2008, 06:56:55 pm »
66'' Red Oak self bow, draws 40lbs at 30''

Never posted any pictures on here but I thought I'd share this bow with you guys.  I had a ball making this one as many of the mysteries were solved on the first on.  I think I'm getting a little better and quicker.  I'm off to get some more wood!  This is going to a plumber friend of mine for some work he did for me.  He liked my first one and said he wanted one.  Truth be known I'm sad to see it go but I'm happy it's going were it's appreciated. 

« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 12:01:03 am by wrightbrigade »

Offline bowmunky13

• eat more human
Re: My second Red Oak bow
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 08:26:48 pm »
that sure is one sexy peice of work... i like the color... and the grain... the tiller seems good too... i am no expert though... i have two red oak boad that i need to start on... think i will do that now
death by natural causes

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
Re: My second Red Oak bow
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 09:33:36 pm »
Good looking bow! Where's the full draw pic?
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: My second Red Oak self bow complete PICS full draw
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 04:03:15 am »
Am I seeing this correctly......are them String Grooves cut in that deeply on the Back and sides of the Tips??? If so in my little experience....this is a good method for disaster.....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 04:56:11 am »

yes, nice bow, but the string grove looks scary!
frank
Frank from Germany...

wrightbrigade

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 09:01:34 am »
Thanks guys!  Glad you like it.  I'm not real sure about the depth of the string groove, I could take some more pictures and put on here but there looks like plenty of wood in there to me, but then again I'm just learning.  It's only shot about 100 arrows.  Should I be expecting some excitement, or should I say my plumber friend? ???

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 09:37:53 am »
Good looking bow except you never should cut your string grooves across the back unless you've added inlay tips. If I were you, I might consider tapering from the back to the belly at the tips and adding some inlays before I shoot the bow anymore. I just saw a bow posted that split out at the tips I think due to cutting the grooves across the back.

Bow looks great except for that one design hiccup! :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

a finnish native

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 12:23:58 pm »
I have the impression that those type of string grooves do absolutely no harm to the bow. you just have to make sure that the tips don't bend and are strong enough. this looks like a very fine bow.
Oh and the grain being that way, the string grooves make no difference at all.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 12:25:21 pm »
Great looking bow, but man,  I'm with almost everybody else-fill those nocks on the back and glue some overlays on there. Cutting through the grain on the back is flirting with disaster. Otherwise, looks like you did an excellent job on it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 12:32:12 pm »
Nice bend on that one! As others have said, overlays on the tips, they might survive the violation, but why take the chance? Again, beautiful tiller!...Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 12:53:14 pm »
... As others have said, overlays on the tips, they might survive the violation, but why take the chance? ...

exactly! looks like putting on overlays shouldn't be a problem here, and that's for sure on the save side.
if you wanna do that and you don't really know how, go to my how-to thread about making overlays!
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 12:54:31 pm »
Getting ready to set up Bow of the Month for April a day early. I'll be away from my computer after that. Got your bow added, of course.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline adb

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 05:05:40 pm »
Naaah... those string grooves should be fine! There's plenty of meat left. Plus, the bow is only 40#.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 05:41:52 pm »
 That is a fine looking bow. Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

wrightbrigade

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 06:15:54 pm »
Thanks for all the compliments and tips  I appreciate it.  I'll just tell Chris we need to put some knocks on there when we get a chance and I'll not cut across that back again in the future.  I'm very proud of the feedback this got, because I know you guys all know your stuff and it passed as good tiller and looks, and I can learn from your input for the next one.