Author Topic: titebond 3 with sinew  (Read 8003 times)

swink

titebond 3 with sinew
« on: April 28, 2008, 06:49:21 pm »
 can you back a bow with sinew using titebond 3. If so how well do's it work. Or would you just stick to hide glue.

Offline PatM

Re: titebond 3 with sinew
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 06:56:40 pm »
Sinew and titebond make a backing that is about on par with rawhide. You need hide glue to allow the sinew to stretch and return. The shrinking of hide glue and sinew will also reflex the bow. That doesn't happen with titebond.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 07:21:34 pm »
Stick to hide glue.  You can get it at most any grocery store, in the form of unflavored gelatin packets.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 11:16:54 pm »
Sinew and titebond make a backing that is about on par with rawhide. You need hide glue to allow the sinew to stretch and return. The shrinking of hide glue and sinew will also reflex the bow. That doesn't happen with titebond.
;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 12:46:46 am »
As said above.....bob

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 12:48:23 am »
TB does not work with sinew!! I learned this the hard way.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 04:10:08 am »
Hang on a second,  Ed Scott makes really nice bows using TB III and sinew, Mark Backer reported having really good results with the same combination.

...Maybe it's just a different way to prepare the stave and process ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 08:52:26 am »
Are you sure it's not just with the liquid hide glue that Titebond offers?

Offline TRACY

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 09:36:36 am »
I just finished wrapping with TB Hide glue and sinew and applied snake skin. The only difference I found was the aroma of warm hide glue missing.I'm satisfied with the results I still prefer to use traditional hide glue and sinew to back with but wouldn't hesitate to use the bottled hide glue for smaller projects with time constraints.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline kra

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 10:09:31 am »
I recommend pure hide glue. The fastest glue as it sticks when colling down.

Than wrap the sinew layer with some rubber tape (best I found till now was rim tape), apply some mild stretch, reheat the whole thing and let the excess glue to melt out. After cooling down, unwrap and smooth the surface. Gives a backing with less glue in it. I rarely had some crackling noise when stringing and pulling this this bows for the first time.

Sinew and hide glue - thats like ham and eggs, like man and wife, like..., just a incredible pairing!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 12:07:22 pm »
Art Butner has made some bows using TB3 wood glue to apply sinew, and says it works well. I think Pat may have tried it, too. This discussion has happened before and developed into a bit of a bruhaha.  :)
I like the ol' hide glue myself. Seems like with the sinew and hide glue having the same basic composition that it would make a more homogonous backing, but then, I've never tried sinewing with TB.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Slivershooter

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 12:56:05 pm »
I have used both TBIII and hide glue for sinew with excellent results, and haven’t been able to tell much, if any difference in performance when using either one.  However, the TBIII is a lot easier and faster to use so I now use it most of the time. 

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 01:06:39 pm »
Slivershooter, did you get the same reflex effect with the TB as the hide glue? I need to 'speriment some with it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 03:27:19 pm »
..Hey Walt, I like your signature !!!! ;) ;) ;D ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline adb

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 04:46:37 pm »
TB3 and sinew did not work for me. Maybe it was too dirty, or wet, or something. It kept peeling off. I've had much better success with TB hide glue or Knox's gelatin (which is also just hide glue).