Author Topic: Women's bow dimensions  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Loope

Re: Women's bow dimensions
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2020, 06:31:20 pm »
I narrowed and shortened the limbs, thinking I would go for about 30 pounds.  But hadn't started floor tillering yet.

My wife had the opportunity to see her friend, so I suggested that she just go ahead and spill the beans and ask draw length/poundage.  I had just kept questioning myself on if whether it would fit her well enough that she could enjoy it as a shooter instead of a wall hanger.

It didn't really spoil the surprise, she was thrilled that I am going to make her a bow, and now she gets the joys of anticipation...  And I have a better target for the build that I can really feel good with... 25# @ 25".

What do you guys do for arrows for these light bows?  The lightest I can find is 30-35# spine POC.  I thought I might buy those to try to work with.  Does anyone have better recommendations for arrows?

Michael

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2020, 11:27:09 am »
And I have a better target for the build that I can really feel good with... 25# @ 25".

What do you guys do for arrows for these light bows?  The lightest I can find is 30-35# spine POC.  I thought I might buy those to try to work with.  Does anyone have better recommendations for arrows?

Michael

You could always make the bow a little long and pike it later if it’s too light for her. My wife is 5’6” with a 24 inch draw. Bow is about 28#.

I have found the POC arrows that are spined 30-35 a bit stiff in her bow. In fact cut to 27 inches and with a 75 grain point they shoot better out of a 40lb bow I have than her bow.

I have found some 25# bamboo shafts I will make into arrows for her.

I don’t know where you live but I would suggest trying to find a lighter spine, sanding the 30# ones a bit, or if she’s gonna hunt with the bow you could get away with a much heavier point - but coming from a compound might be better to ease her in with some lighter, faster arrows for the range first!!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2020, 04:31:16 pm »
I would sand the arrows until they shoot well from the bow,, or scrape and then sand,,once u get one that shoots good you can make it match the others,, doesnt have to be exact,, just get it close so it flys good,, or if you have a spine tester make it exact,, I usually just bend it by hand for something like that,, and get it to fly good,,

Offline Loope

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2020, 06:24:25 pm »
I ordered the 30-35 POC last night.  So when they arrive, there will be some scraping/sanding to do.  I've got a spine tester, so will get some use from that, in addition to shooting.  I haven't touched the bow in a few days, it is still in the ready for floor tiller stage, but plan to make progress this coming week.

Offline airkah

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2020, 09:07:05 am »
Once in a while I give a bunch of bows to the SCA. The requests from women are usually in the 35@28 range. If that helps at all.

This is about what I would tiller it to for her.

Edit: nevermind, just saw the post of where you found out her actual draw.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 09:11:13 am by airkah »