Author Topic: First bow completed  (Read 1517 times)

Offline Kidder

First bow completed
« on: July 16, 2020, 01:19:39 am »
Well I managed to finish my first ever bow build. I started off messing around with a bunch of black locust staves I harvested and then realized i didn’t have the patience to wait for them to cure without digging into them so I decided to build a board bow. At the time all I could find was red oak (I’ve since found good hickory, maple, sapele, etc). My goal here was to build a bow for my 7 year old son. So I made this 58 inch ttt, 56 inch ntn, 1.5 inch wide tapering 12 inches from the tips to 1/2 inch nocks. She pulls 25lbs at 24 inches (although my son only pulls around 20 inches today, but he can pull it to his full draw. I backed it with faux snake skin. I hand carved an arrow rest out of walnut. Finished with 3 coats of tru oil. The handle wrap is a scale stamped leather that I dyed and stitched on with leather cordage. Since the kiddos favorite colored dragon is red, so is the leather. After all, the bow is the “dragon slayer.” Overall, I learned something new every time I looked at it and had a blast the entire time! On the the next...

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: First bow completed
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 01:29:03 am »
Nice... we need the full draw shot tho'  ;D
I think it's harder to make a 25# than a 40# there is less margin for error!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 07:58:36 am »
Very nice bow for your son. But, like Del said, we need a full draw pic.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kidder

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 08:50:02 am »
As far as he can pull it for now...seems to have stiffened somewhat just by adding the backing. But he’s only growing one direction right now so I’m not terribly concerned. Handle is only offset one inch down, despite the way it looks in the picture.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 09:31:10 am »
That looks good. The lower limb seem to be bending a bit much but I wouldn't worry about that now. Well done.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Will B

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 10:12:58 am »
Very nice bow. Your son is gonna love it!

Offline DuBois

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 03:56:07 pm »
I'm thoroughly impressed.
Good job Dad!!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 04:43:18 pm »
Nice job kidder. I’m sure your son will enjoy and remember that bow forever. Looks really nice.

Bjrogg

PS I like the name. I made a bow for a fella named Pete one time. Told him he had to come up with a name because I always name my bows. If he didn’t I was going to call it Pete’s Dragon Slayer. He loved it and Dragon Slayer it was
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 06:29:31 pm »
 Love the "fade movement" on this light weight bow...Nice bend
                                                                                                Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Kidder

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 07:08:05 pm »
That looks good. The lower limb seem to be bending a bit much but I wouldn't worry about that now. Well done.

Thanks for the input. I looked at it a little more and some other pictures and I think that is an illusion because of how he’s holding it (it was a struggle to draw). Kind of how much shorter the lower limb also looks.

Also thanks to all for the compliments. This board is fantastic...

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2020, 08:44:02 pm »
Excellent job. Love the name.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline StickMark

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2020, 09:31:20 pm »
way to get on it and build it

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2020, 10:01:20 am »
Way to go!  A set of shoot arrows and he'll be in business!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry