Author Topic: English Bow Woods Article  (Read 2122 times)

Offline mmattockx

Re: English Bow Woods Article
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2020, 11:19:58 am »
I hadn’t really thought of it like this and if that is the case it’s sad because I have always felt that the more that gets done to promote traditional archery the better for everyone.

Not everyone can see a larger picture than themselves and what is good for them alone. A rising tide lifts all boats, but some either fear competition or only care about their own boat.

Mark

Offline willie

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2020, 01:27:57 pm »
I believes he perpetuates some of the myths.

One of the assertions he makes in the article is some woods are only good for lighter weight bows. He is not the only one to make that statement. I read it yesterday when reading an article by Gerald Welsh about his first attempts to build a 200# yew warbow, and have seen it often elsewhere, most often about warbows.

I understand one typically make a heavier bow by making it thicker, but if a bow is scaled up properly in length and width also, it seems to me that wood properties do not limit draw weight.

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2020, 03:24:37 pm »
One of the assertions he makes in the article is some woods are only good for lighter weight bows. He is not the only one to make that statement. I read it yesterday when reading an article by Gerald Welsh about his first attempts to build a 200# yew warbow, and have seen it often elsewhere, most often about warbows.

I understand one typically make a heavier bow by making it thicker, but if a bow is scaled up properly in length and width also, it seems to me that wood properties do not limit draw weight.

Yes I also found this strange and would have to agree that I was always led to believe that since all wood has an elastic limit you must adjust bow design to be within those parameters. No different to a highly stressed flightbow pushing the limits at 40lbs? But then again I don’t have any experience with building super heavy bows - but for that matter how much experience does anyone have with 200lb bows? My point being I doubt many people attempt very high draw weight bows and if they do it’s probably on some special request ... so there might be at best some anecdotal evidence on the subject of other woods/ designs but basically it’s not like the average back yard bowyer goes out and says “I am beefing up my tillering tree because I am going to make a 200 LB bamboo backed Ipe today with non working recurved tips and a wide mid limb...

bownarra

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2020, 11:48:58 pm »
If anybody mentions wood only being able to handle a low weight....I know that person doesn't understand bows....:) Either it works at a certain scale or it doesn't, if it does it can be scaled up or down. Honestly some people seem to think wood knows what type of bow it is in! Nope it simply feels the strain and responds accordingly.
When I was relatively new to bow making I met Pip. I was prompted by some other people there to show Pip my latest sinew backed osage recurve. His comments and attitude were a joke. He basially told me the bow was rubbish and would fail in time....
Well that bow is now about 14 years old and has shot many, many thousands of arrows at about 185 fps.....funnily enough it has never lost any performance.
Pip is trying to run a business but I certainly don't agree with how he goes about it.
Pat is correct with the adze versus elbow comment :)
Tommy - If you want any advise on UK woods please just ask. I have a wee bit of expeience with them and only the truth will pass my lips!

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2020, 01:10:01 am »
Tommy - If you want any advise on UK woods please just ask. I have a wee bit of expeience with them and only the truth will pass my lips!

Thank you Bownarra - I definitely will - you have been a fund of knowledge and have been very kind sharing it with me - it is much appreciated.

I have found that contrary to Mr Bickerstaffe’s opinions, if you find the right forum, the internet is populated with many fine people who love to share the knowledge of things they are passionate about - and that doesn’t just go for bow making.

So many thanks to everyone who has helped on this “bow making” journey!