Author Topic: Limb Repair Help  (Read 1091 times)

Offline GaryL

Limb Repair Help
« on: July 22, 2020, 05:37:24 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I have a question about reinforcing a limb on one of my bows.  I have an Osage bow backed with Cherry Bark, 63lbs @26".  This bow was made in the late 80's, not by me.  I was shooting the other day and I thought I heard the slightest cracking noise.  I unstrung the bow and after some serious visual inspection found a slight crack going across the back of the bow on the Cherry wood.  Does not look at all like it effected the Osage but I really cant be certain as it is backed with bark.  I was thinking of Sanding it down and putting some high viscosity Super Glue in the Crack and then wrapping it and super gluing the wrapping.

My questions are, If I do this is this the recommended procedure and if so what is used for the wrap?  I thought Artificial sinew but that all seems to be waxed.  What do most bowyers use for the reinforcing wraps you see so often?

If this is not the best approach I would appreciate any advice.  This is a beautiful bow and would like to provide any insurance I can to keep it lasting if possible.

bownarra

Re: Limb Repair Help
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 01:39:09 am »
Chances are it is just the bark that has cracked.
You could sand the bark off to be sure but you must not touch the wood underneath.
Any natural material cord. Hemp, linen, fishing line (braided) etc. Get something absorbant. Once wrapped get some pva glue water it down slightly and soak the thread.

Offline GaryL

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 11:24:03 am »
Thanks, I'll give that a try

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 03:44:53 pm »
I use braided nylon bowstring serving material, after I wrap I soak the serving with as much superglue as it will hold.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 05:55:40 pm »
Silk thread works well.  I've used artificial sinew but I didn't like it, too stretchy and eventually the super glue wears off.
 Do you know what glue was used for the cherry bark? You might be able to release the glue in that spot to see if the bow wood underneath is damaged then reglue the backing back down.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC