Author Topic: Ring question  (Read 1207 times)

Offline sleek

Ring question
« on: July 14, 2020, 06:49:13 pm »
In the last 10 years of me making bows, I only had this happen maybe 3 times. I got an osage stave that there is almost zero crunchy wood, and good amount of dense wood. You would think thats great! But..... no. Usually the rings peel off in long splinters shavings. These rings are flaking off in 2 and 3 inch sections before snapping brittle like. Im certain I can make a bow of it, but I will go wide and low poundage.  Yall ever have this happen?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline mutt

Re: Ring question
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 03:17:15 am »
I just chased a ring on a piece of Osage with super thin rings, both early and Late wood,
I was not getting any long splinters either. Just bits and pieces. The only way I could tell I was getting any progress at all was to look at the stave six different ways in six different shades of light.
Very tedious. Maybe your stave is very dry????

gutpile

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 07:54:24 am »
wood must be extremely dry... gut

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 08:19:55 am »
Will you post a pic?
 When you get near to the ring you want to chase use a scraper instead of a draw knife. It may take a little linger but it may eliminate your problem.  Being too dry is a possibility also. Where are you and what is the average humidity?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 01:21:16 pm »
The average humidity is 70.6% and the staves are stored in a non climate controlled, drafty barn.  Here in the image you can see how the shavings have just broken off rather than tearing and splintering like is typical.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 02:35:10 pm »
If that is osage I'd say that rot has set in. For one thing the color is way off from any osage I've seen.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 02:38:18 pm »
Thats the sap you see there. It is rotted and bored through with wasps. The yellow wood still does that flaky stuff too. I didnt think heat wood could rot. Especially since the stave is probably 6 or 7 years old.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 06:34:59 am »
I to think rot or decay. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 07:09:53 am »
Every wood can rot. Some are more rot resistant than others.
Will you post pics of the heartwood?

gutpile

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 09:10:55 am »
osage that old turns dark on outside.. yellow to peachy color to purple still bright yellow inside though...this kinda looks like black locust... definitely looks like bugs got into it.. can you chase down a few more rings?...gut

Offline Will B

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2020, 10:18:41 am »
I had one osage stave (belly split) like that and had to go down a number of rings till I felt good about the back. It eventually failed on my tillering tree before I got it to full draw. The wood seemed exceptionally dry.