Author Topic: Finally split the “mystery wood”... Elm?!  (Read 3226 times)

Offline MikeB

Re: Is this Boxwood? And is this wood good for bows?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2020, 04:38:43 pm »
It's definitely not boxwood. Boxwood is extremely slow grown with almost invisible growth rings and a yellowish colour.
I would also say it's not laburnum, the heartwood doesn't look dark enough and laburnum bark is not that rough (it's usually a greenish brown and quite shiny).
I would put my money on that being black locust (robinia pseudoacacia). It was often planted in the uk as an ornamental tree but I believe it's quite a good bow wood.

bownarra

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2020, 11:25:38 pm »
It's definitely not boxwood. Boxwood is extremely slow grown with almost invisible growth rings and a yellowish colour.
I would also say it's not laburnum, the heartwood doesn't look dark enough and laburnum bark is not that rough (it's usually a greenish brown and quite shiny).
I would put my money on that being black locust (robinia pseudoacacia). It was often planted in the uk as an ornamental tree but I believe it's quite a good bow wood.

Zoom in! The end grain is wrong for black locust. Trust me that is labernum, check the pore diffusion......:) Bark oftens varies and isn't a great indicator of tree type. Heartwood colour of an end grain piece can often be confusing too.

bownarra

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2020, 11:26:31 pm »
Just like yew it heat bends beautifully.
Yes the 30" piece is long enough...just!

Offline turmoiler

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2020, 05:27:18 am »
In my opinion it's mulberry, not boxwood or laburnum because its rings are porous, thick and demarcated. It could be bl but I think that the rings are too thick and it has too much sapwood. I have seen lots of mulberries and that is what it looks like the bark and the wood

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2020, 08:07:47 am »
Ok ... the chaps on the arbtalk forum are all saying black locust...

I guess the take home message seems to be whatever it is of the 3 it’s still bow wood!! :)

I still really want it to be Laburnum though...

Will try and get my friend to send some more pics of some of the other parts of it...

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2020, 09:37:03 am »
In my opinion it's mulberry

+1

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2020, 10:42:36 am »
Post some more pics once you get it split open, fresh heartwood color might answer the debate.

Offline MikeB

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2020, 04:18:40 pm »

Zoom in! The end grain is wrong for black locust. Trust me that is labernum, check the pore diffusion......:) Bark oftens varies and isn't a great indicator of tree type. Heartwood colour of an end grain piece can often be confusing too.

You're right bark does vary a lot even within a species but laburnum bark is very distinctive and I've never seen it with fissures and colour like that before. It's often shiny with a sort of blistered looking surface. I see a few people are suggesting Mulberry which is quite a likely candidate, always has a thick sapwood like this.

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2020, 10:38:35 am »
Here are a few more pics of some of the bits lying around from the same tree...

Offline Tommy D

Split the “mystery wood” billets...
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2020, 07:02:03 am »
Fun day with an old friend and also got round to splitting the “mystery wood” ... Laburnum, Black Locust or Mulberry are the contenders...

Wood is quite stringy... it had a musty almost fish oil smell when we split it...

Here are a few photos...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Finally split the “mystery wood”...
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2020, 07:31:20 am »
It doesn't look like locust to me on the inside.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2020, 07:55:47 am »
still looks like mulberry to me, but iv'e never worked laburnum so i don't know how similar it looks to mulberry.
i also agree that it doesn't look like locust.

Offline PatM

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2020, 08:02:02 am »
Black Locust also seems to really tend to the three rings of sapwood scenario.

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2020, 08:51:16 pm »
Could this be elm? I’ve heard elm is stringy...

Offline dylanholderman

Re: Finally split the “mystery wood”... Elm?!
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2020, 09:06:15 pm »
maybe?
but iv'e seen that level of stringy-ness from Osage and mulberry before, heck iv'e even had maple split stringy like that before.
i will say that the elm i have split before was way WAY stringier then what you have there.