Author Topic: Bow length to draw length ratio for osage.  (Read 1719 times)

Offline willie

Bow length to draw length ratio for osage.
« on: June 23, 2020, 08:34:44 pm »
So I have a few pieces of osage that I have collected along the way. I sure do wish it grew here, as these pieces have come a long way to get here.

Needless to say I want to make the best of what I got, so I have been considering designs. Typically, I consider different woods to have limitations on how far you can reasonably draw a bow relative to the NTN length.

Without too much set being taken, and with a bendy handle design with without much of a stiff tip or hook, and without a sinew backing. How short could I go if I plan to shoot a 24" arrow?

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Bow length to draw length ratio for osage.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 09:22:11 pm »
lots of varialbles,,  (-P
would depend on the how clean the stave is,,
and if you would be making it wider with a bend in handle or or just all the same width,,
if you want to be safe,, or conservative,,, or push the limit,,
middle of the road would be like start at say 54,,,
if the bow is not taking any set,, then shorten and retiller,, repeat as needed till you get what you want,,,
but there is not definite answer cause each peace of wood is gonna be different,,
48 is about as short as I would try, there are others that have made shorter,,
the longer the bow the higher the success rate, the shorter the bow the lower the success rate,,
its complicated,, (-P

Offline willie

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 10:01:29 pm »
Brad,

lots if variables for sure.  but bend in the handle if I can glue two billets and still make it bend thru the splice.
and if you would be making it wider with a bend in handle or or just all the same width,,

not sure what the difference would be if the handle narrowed and still bent, or if it didn't narrow?

on the other hand, maybe a better option would be to splice the billets and build the handle area up with some other wood to make the handle non working and also splice some other wood on the outers for slightly working tips and to get some more length.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 10:10:37 pm »
the difference woud be with a wider limb you could go shorter,, kind of like Ishi design,,
if the widest part of the bend in handle bow is the the handle,, you can only go so wide without having some arrow flight issues,,

Offline willie

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 02:04:26 pm »
thanks, Brad. a short bow needing a shorter brace height, could get too radical with a wider handle is what I think one issue might be.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 11:52:58 am »
Willie, give me some details and pics of your osage,, I think it will take some guess work out of making a good stable design,,

Offline willie

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 12:46:11 pm »
Brad,

these are cut-offs from staves of very nice osage. they are a gift from a very generous member here at PA.

At one time, I thought I might utilize them as limbs for a take down bow, but when considering the thickness needed at the limb butts, I realized there is only enough for one bow.

If I start thinking about using the osage for a one piece, with glued up handles and or tips, I can probably get two bow out of the stock.

I have been practicing a short draw style shooting, and only need to get a 24" draw....

I know there are lots of variables, but I want to consider lots of possibilities also. maybe enough length to flip the tips would be nice.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 01:05:13 pm »
ok, that looks good, I think work them to one growth ring,, then  splice them together and see what you have,,
you can add extensions on the tips if needed, but first get a bow roughed out,, then consider your options,,
Im sure some others will be helpful, now that they can see what you working with,, and what you want to do,,,,

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2020, 05:17:36 pm »
  Bob I tried  a 3 piece takedown. Then I tried a V -splice on both ends of a handle. The bottom of the billets had to have some pieces glued on the bottom of billets at v splice. They both shot at 27-28” draw. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline willie

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2020, 05:42:42 pm »
Hey Arvin.

Ever since I got those pieces from you, I have been looking at them like an expensive bottle of scotch. Wondering just what occasion or design justifies cutting into them.

I actually hoped I could come up with a handle glueup plan incorporating some birch I have on hand. It would be sweet if I could turn one piece into one bow, as there is quite a bit of thickness to play with. Of course that gets close to the glued on "handle that wants to pop off" scenario. When you say you 'tried' a V splice on both ends of a handle, did it work out well? length of handle?length of fades? was the splice in the fades? pics are welcome  :)

I do want to make a short bow for 24" arrows, even if I have the materiel to go for a more typical 27-28" draw, at least on one of them.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2020, 07:43:51 pm »
Bob there is a bow build on the leatherwall. (Three piece permanent) is the Title. Before I could put pics on here. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline willie

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2020, 08:03:30 pm »
Thanks for bringing it to the top, Arvin. Here's a link if the mods don't mind.
http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/tf/lw/thread2.cfm?threadid=316055&CATEGORY=4#4748285

Looking thru the whole thread, I see there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2020, 09:28:05 pm »
I find it's fun to throw a bunch of scraps together and have a bow come out the other end.