Author Topic: Poplar Longbow  (Read 2836 times)

Offline Santanasaur

Re: Poplar Longbow
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2020, 06:40:58 am »
Its funny how there have been a lot more poplar bows made lately, since Kramer Ammons uploaded that popular board bow build on youtube. I guess poplar was what he had and used but now there are a ton of beginners who think poplar is the desirable choice. Over on r/bowyer we've been seeing questions like "i can't find poplar, all they have is oak, can I still make a bow?"

Anyway, awesome job. Great heat looking treat, and a very pretty bow overall.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2020, 07:31:11 pm »
Thanks fellas,

Kamil, I’m not sure of the density, this board was heavy compared to the other ones in the stack. If I get around to it, I’ll dry a piece from the off cut and measure it’s dry specific gravity.

Freeflynick, the line is the glue line for the handle. I think it colored when the glue heated up when heat treating.

Ryan, Elm hall would be fun! Not sure if I’ll be able to make it due to the corona virus. I’m trying to be causptious about exposing others since I work in healthcare.

Santanasaur, I think the best part about using poplar is trying to remove bow wood stigma. I love Osage as much as the next guy but variety of wood species is a beautiful part of the bow making world. Limited availability of some woods shouldn’t keep people from building bows.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2020, 01:37:33 pm »
Excellent work with a not that common wood!
Can't remember seeing a bow made of poplar. I often thought about using it (we have much here in my homeland), but never got the time to look for a good stave from that wood.
Yours turned out fine, love the profiles especially the dead straight unbraced.
What is the tip overlay material?
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline RyanY

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2020, 02:09:43 pm »
Thank you simson. The tip overlays are also of poplar.