Author Topic: Twist  (Read 2190 times)

Offline jamesh76

Twist
« on: June 15, 2020, 03:28:29 am »
I have read posts for the last hour. I even have 4est trekkers post with the pine board in my shop. Lots of confusing terminology and info on this topic across multiple other posts. I am still confused and second guess myself every time. Based on this picture and view from this end of the tip. Which side is strong side and which side do you remove wood? Left or right side.   

Offline NicAzana

Re: Twist
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 03:51:16 am »
As the string bisects the handle, i wouldn’t worry about that amount of twist, unless it gets worse when you draw it. But if you do try to correct that, you should remove wood from the side that is left on the photo. Full disclosure: I’m not that experienced.
time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 03:54:39 am »
thanks for your reply, I understand its not that bad of a twist and would be ok with the alignment.  I just want clarification on which is strong/weak and which side to remove wood. Hopefully there are several responses. I just don't want to second guess myself anymore.

Offline BAfromPA

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 04:31:55 am »
Strong side resists being bent towards the belly, weak side bends further. The left side is the strong side.

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 08:22:40 am »
I think right is strong side. Remove wood right side. More feedback needed please 67 views so far.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 08:29:41 am »
If you get the twist out of it then the string won't bisect the handle anymore. Then you will have to bend the limb sideways to recorrect it. Is it worth it?

PS I've never been able to get twist out by tillering. I heat them and bend them.

Offline gumboman

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 11:43:10 am »
Before you do anything read the sticky at the top of this board for details on mechanics of limb twisting. Limb will always twist to the weak side.

Offline bassman

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 12:17:53 pm »
Remove wood from the left side of the limb till it is even thickness on both sides the length of the limb. Put the bow back on a form ,and heat treat the belly lining the limb tips up with the middle of the handle. Use heat ,and clamp as you go. That should remove the twist from limbs, and they should hold that way.JMO

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 12:55:14 pm »
What I do is I push the back of the limb on one side or the other with my thumb towards the belly side whilst looking down the belly along the string. When you push on the back on one side with your thumb you are effectively weakening that side, so the side you have to push to untwist the limb is the stronger side.

If you were looking at a braced bow in profile and you wanted to see what would happen were you remove wood from one limb you push that limb and you can watch the opposite limb straighten; I try and imagine this same principle going on but as a section through the limb...

I would make a simple bow with a thin slat and get a rasp and play around. That’s what I did. It finally clicked

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2020, 01:31:10 pm »
Before you do anything read the sticky at the top of this board for details on mechanics of limb twisting. Limb will always twist to the weak side.
  in this picture it twists left, so are you saying right is strong?

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2020, 01:32:56 pm »
Remove wood from the left side of the limb till it is even thickness on both sides the length of the limb. Put the bow back on a form ,and heat treat the belly lining the limb tips up with the middle of the handle. Use heat ,and clamp as you go. That should remove the twist from limbs, and they should hold that way.JMO
you didnt answer the question
  Based on this view, is left or right strong side?

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2020, 01:44:11 pm »
Ref the sticky. This appears the same twist I have at this tip. Unless I'm a complete moron and am reading this incorrectly the left side is weak? .

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2020, 02:13:19 pm »
This is from a book on laminated “thou shalt not speak of” bows ... it starts ... The Limb

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2020, 02:28:31 pm »
This is from a book on laminated “thou shalt not speak of” bows ... it starts ... The Limb

thank you for sharing, so which side is strong side?

Offline Hamish

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2020, 04:03:02 pm »
Wood will always bend towards the weak side.

In the first photo that shows the limb twist along the length, the limb bends towards the left. Therefore remove wood from the right side near the tips.

By the way Tommy, what book are you quoting from?